cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow website

N/A

Slow website

OK

migrated my website to the Plusnet space, no problems (well, a couple, but support helped me out).

But, I notice that the site is much slower to load from the plusnet space than the previous host:

http://www.tredomen.plus.com/

http://www.rrrugby.fsnet.co.uk/

The second site loads like lightning in comparison to the plusnet one. Is it because the plusnet servers are slow, they have a slow connection to the net or maybe it'll speed up when other ISP proxies start caching it?

Help!
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Slow website

There is a long ongoing speed issue with all the PlusNet servers - just read back through the service status announcements and you will see.

There are also loads of threads on the speed issue so I suggest look for and read what has been happening over the past 6 weeks or so.
N/A

Slow website

Best advice would be to keep the site on FS until the problems are resolved (even if this does mean uploading changes on FS dialup).

I made the mistake of moving my sites across when I moved from FS to PN at the beginning of the year and wish I hadn't! I would rather have the 15MB of webspace that worked than 250MB that doesn't...

Only good decision I made was to pay the extra to have a monthly contract which I may be taking advantage of soon.

Mark.
N/A

Slow website

There is a long ongoing speed issue with all the PlusNet servers - just read back through the service status announcements and you will see.

There are also loads of threads on the speed issue so I suggest look for and read what has been happening over the past 6 weeks or so.

Thanks Peter, I did do a search on the forum before I posted but couldn't find a relevant topic could you post a couple of titles/links that I could look at?

Cheers
Tim
N/A

Slow website

Best advice would be to keep the site on FS until the problems are resolved (even if this does mean uploading changes on FS dialup).

I made the mistake of moving my sites across when I moved from FS to PN at the beginning of the year and wish I hadn't! I would rather have the 15MB of webspace that worked than 250MB that doesn't...

Only good decision I made was to pay the extra to have a monthly contract which I may be taking advantage of soon.

Mark.

Ah, no can do - I've run out of space at FS and I dont; fnacy trying to span the site over a few bits of space (Dreamweaver's not going to take to kindly to it, I'd have to split the site).

The 250mb works - just very slowly!
Community Veteran

Slow website

Peter, I did do a search on the forum before I posted but couldn't find a relevant topic could you post a couple of titles/links that I could look at?

While there are loads of threads on slow www and cgi servers in many of the forums, I meant the service status reports. Either click on the service status link bottom left or look in the Announcements/Service Updates forum.
N/A

Slow website

I tried the both pages and they load fine for me but I am a 155meg pipe at work which may make a difference.

It is good practice to have a very sparce front page which will load fast so users can see some action while waiting for flash and graphics to load. You can load the page in the background which gives the inpression that its quicker.
N/A

Slow website

I tried the both pages and they load fine for me but I am a 155meg pipe at work which may make a difference.

It is good practice to have a very sparce front page which will load fast so users can see some action while waiting for flash and graphics to load. You can load the page in the background which gives the inpression that its quicker.

Thanks All. Spotted the service announcements now and the ongoing saga with web space speeds - what have I let myself in for ? :roll:

Mwright, yes, I'm on a very quick pipe here at work too - both sites load OK but the FSNET version loads much quicker. I do work to keep the size of the first page small as many of my friends use only a dial up, that's why there are 2 versions of the front page, though both load quick enough on 56k (from FSNET).