cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N/A

Are you thinking of partnering witth Skype at any point so we can call their members

Thanks
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Doesn't skype use a different standard? i.e. not SIP?
N/A

Yeah, skype use their own closed protocol as opposed to SIP. This means that, until such a time as skype convert their systems over to SIP (which they WILL have to do in the not so distant future, if they wish to retain their customer base) then there is no way for users of SIP based voip systems to call them (unless the skype member has a skypein number, which you could call, I believe, from a SIP system in the same manner as a PSTN number).

It really wasn't a comercially sensible move by the creators of the skype system to use their own protocol rather than SIP (which was already widely used in corporate climates), and I am hopeful that now they have been taken over by eBay inc. they will address this issue.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have used Skype and have no complaints. But what I cannot understand is where they get their revenue from, as it is all free and I have not noticed any advertisements. Does anyone know ?
psk10
Grafter

VoipCheap

I would not think of using Skype which is much dearer than VoipCheap and works well for both incoming /outgoing calls read issue 121 of Webuser 27th October /9 th November 05 list of all Voip companies .

www.voipcheap.com

www.18866.com
shermans
Rising Star

Now that is very interesting. But can anyone tell me whether you can send tone signals (only * and numbers) using VOIP ? The reason I ask is that I have a property in France and I telephone the house whenever it is frosty and turn the heating on remotely. The telephone answers the call, I enter my code and then press * to toggle the heating on or off, then hang up. This costs 8 pence using 1899.com, that is 4 pence on and 4 pence off. They are only small amounts but they all add up. Using voipcheap.com, it would only be 2 pence round trip. But can that be done ?
Community Veteran

Have you considered a thermostat?

Chilly
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

We'd love to peer with Skype, but as ferretboy says they have a closed protocol which means that it isn't possible at the moment, but doesn't mean it will never happen.
shermans
Rising Star

Have you considered a thermostat?

Of course ! But with oil prices at double what they are in the UK (and even those are double what I paid last year), I am doing my bit for the ozone layer ! I have a frost stat fitted but I am not prepared to depend on it in case there is a power failure and the circuit trips - it is a fall-back position. I only turn the heating on when I know that temperatures are near freezing and then control from the UK how long it stays on for. The added advantage is that if a circuit breaker should trip (following a storm for instance), then the heating system will not respond and I know about it and can call a neighbour to go and re-set it. A frost-stat is not interactive and there is no way of knowing whether all is OK or not. Of course, even now the boiler could fail to light but c'est la vie.

In the meantime, I have now tried VOIPcheap. It is not just cheap, it is in fact FREE to France !! And it works - I have just turned the heating on with it. So many thanks to whomever brought the subject up.
psk10
Grafter

Just a thought both www.1899.com and www.18866.com and other companys are all part of the company that owns www.voipcheap.com but rates vary you have to check which is best for you.theres also www.sipdiscount.com
N/A

JAJAH can do it!

Hi,

We'd love to peer with Skype, but as ferretboy says they have a closed protocol which means that it isn't possible at the moment, but doesn't mean it will never happen.

The JAJAH system is SIP based ( www.jajah.com ) it is able to communicate with Skype users. Please explain why Plustalk is unable to do the same?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

JAJAH looks like it is just a piece of software that will access SIP and Skype. With PlusTalk you can use any SIP enabled software or hardware. Don't think you can use anything other than their own software with them. Maybe wrong though. That's just my impression from having a quick read of their site.

Phil
N/A

Jajah works a treat - including video. Smiley Echo suppression is not quite as good as skype and the delay is slightly longer (about 1.5 sec round trip - varies a bit). They CLAIM to be able to connect to skype but I have never succeeded -"All Skype bridges are in use" message every time. Shocked Never tried Plustalk yet - don't know anyone else who has it so it's a bit like the very first telephone invented. Useless until somebody else has one. It tells me I have activated it but I didn't. Never even downloaded the s/ware! But I'll give it a go now I have the free credit. I WON'T pay for a service that is good and free elsewhere.
N/A

We'd love to peer with Skype, but as ferretboy says they have a closed protoco

As a user of Skype may I ask what sort of profile it is given ie Gold, Silver or is it treated as VOIP?
N/A

may I ask what sort of profile it is given ie Gold, Silver or is it treated as VOIP?

I think general VOIP traffic is classed as silver, whereas PlusTalk SIP traffic is classed as Titanium