Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype & voice-over-internet

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I would like to hear of experiences of voice-over-internet services, particularly Skype.

I know that Skype is not tested for Windows 98, however, is there anyone who has tried and succeeded in using Skype with this operating system?

I've used MSN Messenger for voice connections to Australia, but presume that the more refined services offer superior response times and quality. Is this so?

Regards and thanks.....Noel
15 REPLIES
N/A

It works well enough for me! Wink
Community Veteran

I've used Skype before, to talk to my brother over in USA! IMO it is better quality than the phone! Smiley
I am using Win XP, but I know my bro started using Skype some time ago, and he was running Win 98se back then, and didn't seem to have any problems.

Hope that helps.............anyhow, it's free, why don't you just try it? Smiley
N/A

I use SkyPE for SkyPE to SkyPE and SkyPE to normal phones around the world and it's brilliant.

Had no issues with it at all and would recommend it.

I've had people comment that it's so much clearer than standard phone to phone conversations.
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks for the very helpful info.

I'll give it a try in a couple of weeks....bit busy currently and will supply further feed-back.

Regards......

Noel
N/A

SkyPe is exelent. Takes less time than MSN messenger ti set up. And the service is VERY stable for voice, IM, and File Transphers. Get it NOW!
N/A

We use broadband voice as well as skype, I have to say that broadband voice is crystal clear and in my opinion worth the money.

http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com/broadband_voice/bb_voice_home.html
fotobits
Rising Star

I've installed Skype now, ie on my Windows 98 system and find that it works OK.

I suspect that the Windows 98 issue is that indicated in the Skype "Help," ie it doesn't work with W98 and Zone Alarm.

The sound is good, 'though I find that as my speakers are of low quality I prefer to use headphones. The system is easy to set up and a connection to Australia suffered only a small time delay, 'though I'm sure that'll be variable.

An interesting experience, as VOI must have a big future.

Regards......

Noel
N/A

From what I have read Plusnet will be launching a VoIP service soon.

I have asked for details but to no avail.

Skype is great but limited to using the PC. I presently use Sipgate without the PC.
N/A

Skype from a computer to a phone in USA & Europe is about 1.5p per minute and with so many satellites the quality is normally good.
When I call the girlfriend's mobile in Thailand which has 4 (soon to be 5) satellites it costs about 7p per minute and sometimes the quality is poor, it may be just the connection to her is poor but I suspect it is busy satellites. Calls to less advance countries using BT or other cheaper services often gives a poorer quality of connection, which is why I suspect it is the satellites. The calls within Thailand are the same quality as here so it is not their domestic equipment.

Skype is still fantastic value for money and worth getting.
N/A

I've just had a look at Skype but I'm wondering if it can be used with the VOIP phones (or adaptors) that are on the market... While I've normally got atleast one PC on 24/7 I'd rather not be tied to using my desktop to make calls from/receive them.

I've looked into Pipecall and may go with them unless someone can recommend to me a better provider...

(Hint to any Plusnet staff reading this: If you're planning to provide a VOIP phone service in the near future how about giving customers some heads up and info on it before we commit to other providers.... )
nmercer
Grafter

Fonecables can supply a VOIP USB to RJ11/UK Phone Adapter for Skype that you can plug a Dect base into. Not tried it yet am still awaiting delivery.
N/A

Just decided to go with Sipgate... software only at the mo until I get some of the necessary together to buy a VOIP phone.

Anyone got any recommendations?
N/A

I got the Netgear TA612V Router direct from Sipgate and I am very impressed. It allows me to use any standard phone (2).

Beware though, it is locked to the Sipgate service.
N/A

Already got a router (Netgear DG834) so just want a standard VOIP handset or handset adaptor...

Thanks,

Richard.