cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype Audio Problem

N/A

Skype Audio Problem

Can any one help. I am helping a friend with Skype and a Creative webcam. Everything is installed and works up to a point. She has a Skype phone which works OK on SkypeOut and on Skype to Skype calls.

However when the webcam is enabled (the picture is fine), the sound almost immediately becomes distorted and then fails, only to become OK when the webcam is disabled. Strange...!

She has a Dell computer with a SoundMAX Digital Audio intigrated card.
6 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Skype Audio Problem

Are you both behind NAT routers? If so you might want to set a static port for Skype and have a play with port forwarding.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Skype Audio Problem

I don't think this has anything to do with routers etc.and I'm sure Skype does not require any router port forwarding.

Are you both using headsets or speakers and microphone? I would be surprised if you are both using headsets and have a sound problem.

If using speakers check these are set up correctly in "Sounds" in Control Panel (Sounds/Volume tab/Advanced). I have 5.1 speakers but sometimes this is changed to "Desktop speakers". No idea why this occasionally happens but when it does sound quality is very poor.

By the way I switched from a Creative webcam to a Logitech 5000 Pro - much better picture and sound.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Skype Audio Problem

See here.

Configuring a static port in Skype and setting up port forwarding in your router may dramatically increase call quality when calls are made between two NAT routers.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Skype Audio Problem

From CounterPath web site (X-Lite)...problem with Dell and SoundMax card.

http://support.xten.net/viewtopic.php?p=14468
PeterJC

Skype Audio Problem

Suggest you try Skype forum
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showforum=13

One thought, Skype with video can be quite demanding on your computer requirements, less than a few years old.
N/A

Skype Audio Problem

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Problem has now been solved by plugging the webcam USB lead directly into the computer instead of into a powered USB hub.

Again, many thanks.