Hi I used to have a site where you had an 08 something number that directed
to your mobile phone / house number .. it was a free service .. it didn't show
the real number it dials or directs too .. I was just wondering if any knows
what the site was called
4 REPLIES
N/A

Site to redirect an 08-- no to your mobile

Hi,

YAC (You're Always Connected) used to do something similar. Look under YAC Number at the bottom.

It's been a few years so your mileage may vary, but they had (and I presume still do have), a basic "free" service, where they will forward incoming calls to another number, or to an answering service. They also provided the option to block withheld numbers. The cost of this services was covered by the incoming call charges (i.e. the caller paid!).

As with most other things these days, there are additional services depending on what you would like to spend..

Regards
D'Essen
N/A

As I understand it, the only 08xx code that will charge enough to make it financialy possible to forward to mobile numbers, costs in the region of 50p per in.

Yac do an 07 rate number, which is 37.5p per min during the day, 25p int eh evening and 12.5p at weekends (BT standard tarrif)
richard-
Grafter

Quite expensive .. thanks for them though .. Wink
N/A

The problem with this type of thing is that although it's free to you, your callers are paying a fortune, probably without realising it - you won't be popular if they look at their phone bills.

Ripping off the incoming caller is the only way they can make money, and that's probably why a similar service (I think it was called "Callbox") went bust a few years back - I guess they weren't stinging the unsuspecting people who dialled in enough.