cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silent Calls

N/A

Silent Calls

I have been using PlusTalk with an unlocked PAP2 - wasn't that easy to set up but I managed thanks to the forum.

The problem is that I can dial a number (and I hear the DTMF tones) but I dpn't get a ringing tone and can't hear anything. At the other end it rings and they can hear me (presumably only breathing or background noise) but I can hear nothing and am not even aware the call has gone through.

Initially this happened occasionally but it is now happening very regularly.

It really does make it impossible to convince other members of the family of the benefits of VOIP as they are observing what appears to be nuisance calls regardless of any cost saving.

Hope someone can help before it goes in the bin because it just is not usable the way it is.
5 REPLIES
pacem
Grafter

Silent Calls

Have you tried disabling your firewall? If you can't hear anything it may be that inbound audio stream is getting blocked.

I don't know this device at all but I guess as it allows you to plug a phone into it, that it should present you with a dial tone when you pick up the receiver. If it should, and you don't then it's probably an audio connection problem between your phone and the adaptor.

Paul.<><
N/A

Silent Calls

silent calls and/or one way sound are usually firewall issues.

Try opening/forwarding the ports needed, or temporarily disable your firewall(s) and try making a call.
N/A

Silent Calls

Thanks for those suggestions. I set the IP address of the PAP2 as DMZ on my SafeCom router and have not had any problem since.
N/A

Silent Calls

how do you configure these things on the windowsXP pro included firewall please? I get the 'silent call' thing quite often (but not always)
N/A

Silent Calls

Dont use windows my self. But in control panel there the icon for windows firewall. In there I think theres an option for 'exceptions' or 'rules'?

again going from memory as I don't use windows!

M