cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should page requests/retreival consume your download limit?

N/A

Personally i think not. Just joined the DSL fraternity after being forced into it by lack of NTL/Telewest cabling in the area I'm in and quite frankly annoyed that simple page retrievals consume part of the monthly download limits.

After using a 2Mb cable connection for a tenner a month with no cap and then having to pay upward of fourteen quid a month with a cap sux a little. It will now cost more for me to continue my active beta testing for Microsoft and other vendors. £21.99 for a 15Gb cap?? i can do that easily some months downloading new builds, surfing the net for knowledgbase articles and what was even more shocking is that GAMING consumes the download cap as well. Damn that blows my 3 active Eve Online accounts which i run at the same time for 4-8 hours at a time. Couple that with a 6.4Mb DSL line downloading at tops 300Kbps when my 2Mb cable could manage 400+ means that DSL for me is very disappointing. Shame i'm ******* stuck with it.
4 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Why FTP/HTTP?, why not FTP/P2P? ..... or P2P/HTTP?
N/A

BT charges for it all... Most ISPs charge for both upload and download traffic without any difference (one or two only count downloaded data, so that would still not help the OP). It isn't as though this is a change that's come in recently, and to be fair to PN, with most other ISPs having both a limit on download traffic and counting all types of traffic, it is unlikley to matter whether with PN or some other ISP.

Of course a few state they have no port blocking and few restrictions, but they may want even more cash (AceInternet, AOL to name two).
FooAtari
Grafter

Personally I think they need to change how the manage the peak time connection, but they are kind of limited because of how BT in turn charge Plus.

I think the current limits on Premier Option 1 for P2P/Usenet during peak times is fine. I am happy to schedual overnight and during the day.

But there should be a higher limit for http/gaming/email/streaming etc, things that most people can only do during the evening (peak time). Maybe 15gb before management starts, especially as speeds increase and high usage activities such as streaming video will become more popular.

I beleive however, as Plus have stated before, that the way we use and are charge for Broadband will see massive changes in the next few years. Perhaps moving to a kind of pay as you go, or pay extra for premium connection during peak times...

There is some very useful information from Plus.net here:
http://www.plusnetters.co.uk/forums//viewtopic.php?t=508
N/A

but the bottom line is that it's all data transfer. what you are suggesting is caps based on ports, but ports can be changed on the server/client.