cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up my setting FTP sever problems

richard-
Grafter

hi.. ive been trying to set my FTP server up.. I have a router and the computer I want to share is on 192.168.0.4 I can log into the server fine.. but thats because im on the computer.. now my ip address is the one.. When anyone tries to log in it just doesnt work.. its just my normal IP address isnt it, ive set the port the server should accept and opened that port in the inbound setting for my router.. but it still doesnt work for anyone even for me when I use my ip..

Can anyone help me please
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I assume you mean you want people on the internet to have access to your FTP server on your local network via your PlusNet assigned IP address.

Have you setup port-forwarding for port 21 on your router to forward any connection attempts to 192.168.0.4. Read the manual on how to do this or give us details of your router make/model and we may be able to help further.
N/A

Are people trying to connect to your ip in the range 80.229.19. not the 192.168.0.4. ip ?

AS other have said you need to forward the port which is normaly 21 but most ftps let you set any port so make sure you forward the correct one.
richard-
Grafter

I have a netgear DG834G wireless router.. this computer is connected to the router by ethernet and this is the one that I want to use as a server

Ive set it to port 21 now.. to keep it simple

FTP Server set to use port 21
Opened port 21 in the router as inbound, do I have to open the outbound setting

FTP servers use two ports am I correct whats the other port I need to open..

I cannot find how to use redirect to 192.168.0.4... yes I gave people my IP 80.229.19.xxx and did a test on [ here ] to check if the port was open but still

Attempting to connect to 80.229.19.xxx on port 21

Port 21 does not appear to be open

With Regards
Community Veteran

As I explained you need to setup port forwarding on the router - check the manual on how to do this - to forward any connections on post 21 to 192.168.0.4.

Just opening/allowing port 21 inbound is not enough (and not actually needed), what you have probably done is open port 21 on the router itself which probably won't work if it does not have an FTP server option. This will not allow your local PC to see port 21 connections.

This is what port forwarding is for - to forward any attempted connection on port 21 of your 80.x.x.x IP address to your .04 local PC.
N/A

The manual for your router in pdf format is here

http://www.netgear.com/support/support_details.asp?dnldID=493

and you want page 62-63