cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a Web page with a user name and password?

N/A

How do I go about settig up a web page that users have to log in with a user name and password :?:

Thanks
11 REPLIES
N/A

Take a look at the .htaccess thread in the Tutorials and FAQs forum. See the Password protection section.
N/A

Will do, thanks for your help. Cheesy
N/A

"Take a look at the .htaccess thread in the Tutorials and FAQs forum. See the Password protection section."
Took a look only problem encountered was it does give me access when I input the user name and password, using the auto generated password any cluesHuh Cry
N/A

I guess you mean "does not give me access".

In which case, you may have an error in the .htaccess file you produced.

You need to make sure that the filename of the userfile, is set correctly in the .htaccess file.
N/A

If I was to put it at the beginning of the web site (index page) what would the path be as I understand this varies with each ISP? :?
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Passwords

It does work as I use it regularly on several web pages with Plusnet. However, you have to be very careful about the path you use for the file and where you put them. Here is a sample which I have used (names changed to protect the innocent).

.ht access

<Files .htaccess>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>
AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/sm/smith/htdocs/.htpasswd
AuthName "Please Log On"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

.htpasswd

plusnet:851KAMdYHECEo

Hope that helps
N/A

I'm still having problems here, the login box comes up but can't get access with the user name and password

could you explain

AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/sm/smith/htdocs/.htpasswd

I'm doing access from the index page just to keep it simple at the moment,

What does each part of the AuthUserFile represent??
:?
shermans
Rising Star

Passwords

I don't claim to be a techie, so don't rely too much on my explanations. But the AuthUserFile I think indicates where to find the .htaccess file. To keep things simple, make sure that you :

1. Put the .htaccess and .htpassword files in the root directory, which is the the htdocs directory on Plusnet. Make sure you have not created a sub-directory under htdocs, and put either of the files there by mistake.

2. Remember to use only the first TWO letters of your domain name after WWW/, followed by /domainname. So, if we assume that your domain name is www.bambury.plus.com, then the code should read :

AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/ba/bambury/htdocs/.htpasswd

I also had a lot of difficulty with the path at first. So keep it simple to begin with, and do not try to put the files in a sub-directory until you have mastered the concept and got it to work. After that, sub-directories are easy. Do not forget the FIRST TWO letters either.

Presumably you are creating the password correctly. This is the link which I use for that :

http://www.euronet.nl/~arnow/htpasswd/

You then just copy and paste the result into the .htpassword file, making sure that absolutely nothing else is in that file, no spaces, no headers or comments, nothing.

The other problem I had was actually naming the file to commence with a "dot" in the first place. The only way I eventually managed to do it was by giving the file a short name like pass.txt and then going into DOS and renaming it in DOS as .htpassword.

That is rather convoluted and perhaps someone knows a better method, but Windows will not accept a save as .htpassword.

Hope that helps
N/A

Your a diamond, thanks for your help have now got it sorted.
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

[Moderators note (by Thomas): 15(!) smileys removed. Surely you don't need that many?]
N/A

Good to see it's solved. I'm sure Thomas will have a word regarding those smilies Wink
shermans
Rising Star

What about the Fat Controller then ? Thomas will be in touble !