cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking free firewalls

N/A

Seeking free firewalls

Can anyone recommend a free firewall besides Zone Alarm that is just as reliable and faithful ? (ONLY TRIED AND TESTED SOFTWARE PLEASE)
10 REPLIES
painswck
Grafter

Seeking free firewalls

Been using Kerio for some time now. Search out an old v2.15 of the free version as it was easier to set up. Having said that I have not tried the very latest of the version 4 line.

Cheers

Roland
Community Veteran

Seeking free firewalls

N/A

Seeking free firewalls

Get an old 486 machine or SBC and use Smoothwall http://www.smoothwall.org.
N/A

Seeking free firewalls

Sygate personal firewall works fine for me.
pcorker
Grafter

Seeking free firewalls

You could try this one :roll:

Download a tiny software programme called Zone Alarm from www.zdnet.com

This will protect you for free as there are no better safe programmes to date.
N/A

Seeking free firewalls

Hi

To add a bit to what "hinkly" suggested,I also have been using Kerio for a number of years now;but reccomend that you go and have a look at

http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/checklist.html

and download one of the rule sets there...... I have been using ruleset No 3,and it is so strict I have to actually turn a couple of rules off to enable an automatic Windows update.I do notice now however that the latest version of number 3 requires some extra software to be installed,but if you get stuck I can always send you a copy of the original No 3 rule set that does'nt need the extra software.

Hope it helps

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

free firewall

Been using Sygate Personal Firewall for quite a while now and never had a problem with it.

Cheers
N/A

Seeking free firewalls

I am also happy with Sygate, which I've been using for well over a year now.

If you are thinking of giving it a try, do not be put off by the comment in the May issue of Computer Shopper re the Pro version that it it is "The hardest firewall to use we've seen", with further comment that it is "suitable only for people who know their way around an advanced firewall" and " too complicated for anyone who just wants to protect their PC and get on with their lives".

I have never read such complete and utter twaddle in my life, and can only assume that either the writer was trying to set it up after six hours in the pub, or was seriously miffed because he wasn't getting a backhander from Sygate.

A friend who is always extremely wary of anything even slightly complicated recently had problems with Zone Alarm - she's on Windows 95 - and I suggested that she try Sygate, which she hadn't heard of before, giving here the download link., as they list W95 as OK in their System Requirements, whereas ZA don't.
Did I get a phone call from her an hour later saying "help - I don't understand this bit, what do I do?"
No - I got an e-mail a couple of days later including the sentence "By the way, thanks for recommending Sygate - it was a doddle to install and works a treat."
Obviously there is a job for her at Computer Shopper!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seeking free firewalls

In reply to PeterVaughan's observations, I have tried the MacAfee firewall, and must agree with the comments made by Plusnet.

I couldn't get it to work reliably (under Win 2000, but have not tried it with XP) oddly the programme it most often conflicted with seemed to be MacAfee's own anti-virus programme!!

Used alone, the MacAfee firewall "seemed" to be fine, it was only when the MacAfee anti-virus was (re)installed did it start to give trouble.

I gave it up and went back to the Zone Alarm (free version) which is more reliable, and easier to set up as well.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

Seeking free firewalls

i completely agree about the sygate issue. what we get are dummy's who write articles without ever testing the software.
must be beacause sygate is the one firewall i rate best for home users and they need to run it down a bit.

also, i use avg antivirus software. i get my regular updates free too.

both softies are free.

norton and macafee both interfere with other programs running on your system and even when uninstalled, you can still find bits of em in your system applets when you do show hidden devices.
no thanks.