cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Web Site?

N/A

Secure Web Site?

I know I'm possibly being picky here and maybe even asking for the world. :lol:

But is there any way to secure access to my +net web space so that only permitted users (IP numbers) can read it?

The reason for this is that the organisation I work for has a need to post semi-confdidential documents somewhere that can be shared among widely separated offices. Since we have somewhere like 5Gig of available unused web space on +net servers I thought it might be an idea.

I know I could host my own web server, and will do so if necessary but I'm trying to find a cheapo stopgap for the time being. :shock:

Regards

Tim
1 REPLY
N/A

Secure Web Site?

Personally, I would never store confidential (even semi-confidential) documents on a webserver not maintained by myself. However, if you wish to restrict access, place the following in a file called ".htaccess" (note the dot) and upload it to the directory you wish to protect (replacing the IPs I entered with the ones you wish to use):

order allow,deny 

allow from 12.12.12.12
allow from 34.34.34.34

You can add as many additional lines as you like. It may also be a good idea to password protect this directory. For full details of using .htaccess files please see this thread.

Note If the documents are on the CGI server, the .htaccess settings will not work. Any plusnet customer using the shell would be able to view the documents in question.