cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary MX?

N/A

Secondary MX?

I've not yet made use of any of my account's other bits other than the actual broadband access (which is very good by the way) but I was thinking - would it be possible to set up secondary MX and/or DNS for a domain hosted by another ISP?

There's nothing that indicates this on the admin page that I can see, but would it be something I could pay for?

JJ
4 REPLIES
N/A

Secondary MX?

You mean so you could use the plusnet mail servers to deliver mail to address@domain-hosted-elsewhere.com ?
N/A

Secondary MX?

Not exactly.

Under normal circumstances, the primary mail server (on another ISP) would receive mail for the domain.

But if the primary mail server was down for any reason, then a seconday mail server would queue up all incoming mail for that domain until the primary went back up. At which point the secondary would deliver it all to the primary, which would in turn deliver it to users on that domain the normal way.

If that makes sense.

JJ
N/A

Secondary MX?

Yeh - I don't think that's possible - if you had the domain hosted on plusnet, if their primary server goes down, they have the secondary one which does exactly that. But you'd have to have the domain on plusnet.
N/A

Secondary MX?

Oh well, it was just a thought. I can't host the domain on Plusnet.

Thanks for your replies though!