cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanning Webmail?

N/A

Scanning Webmail?

Hi, I know that Plusnet and many other anti-virus scanners scan POP and SMTP mail, but they don't scan webmail such as Yahoo! and Hotmail. I keep getting viruses in Hotmail. They all have attachments and sound dodgy so I save them in 'My Documents', scan them, and 99.9% of the time a virus is found!

Does anyone know of a program which scans Webmail and shows alerts when it is infected? Trend Micro PC-cillin scans it, but leaves the infected mail on the Hotmail or Yahoo! server.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Smiley
2 REPLIES
N/A

Scanning Webmail?

HTTP or Web based mail should be scanned by the provider, most of them offer this automatically these days.

I only know of two anti-virus programs which scan Http connections, Kaspersky and NOD32. NOD32 is better since it searches for other HTTP connections, other than the expected ports.

Otherwise, there are various programs on the internet which will download you hotmail and push it to POP3 Port (110), and then your normal anti-virus software should pick it up, if it checks e-mails.

Besides, if the attachment looks dodgy, don't open it, just delete it.

In addition, most e-mail clients won't remove the original e-mail from hotmail, unless you request it to be deleted.

Yahoo can be changed to POP3, by a setting on their e-mail web page.
N/A

Scanning Webmail?

Thanks for your reply. Cheesy