cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sasser Worm & XP SP2 (Beta RC1)

N/A

Hi I'm running XP with the RC1 SP2 installed. I've noticed an update released for the Sasser Worm but nothing has been released for SP2.

Anyone know anything about Sasser? Does SP2 need this patch?

I don't really want to un-install SP2 but it looks like I may have to.

Cheers,

GB
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Service Pack 2 build 2120 already includes the patch. This is the new version released on 30th April by Microsoft - note, this is not a RC version:

5.1.2600.2120 (xpsp.040423-1852) date: April 23rd 2004

What version are you running?
N/A

Version 2096, is there a later verson then? should I be downloading this?

I have all the patches applied and the the windows update site, claims there are no patches to be applied.
Community Veteran

There have been several since your version. SP2 is not installed as a windows update patch. You must download the SP2 beta like you did the first time and install it. It is available either from microsoft or one of the many websites where they have a copy for download.

More details and what problems exist with build 2120 can be found at http://www.winbeta.org/winbeta/index.php
N/A

So would it be better just remove SP2 and update my machine as normal.

I like some of the features of SP2 but I don't want to put my machine at risk. I would have thought I'd have to uninstall SP2 to install a new version anyway.

What's the best course of action?
Community Veteran

You must uninstall your current version of SP2 then apply the new version.

Note: because this is Beta software there is the chance that uninstalling your current SP2 could cause problems with your PC. You are therefore running the Beta software at your own risk, and in all cases you should have a ull backup of your system. The system restore feature may or maynot help if problems occur - most likely it will not so should not be relied on for recovery in this situation.
N/A

Hi I have removed SP2 will no noticably side effects, a first for microsoft.

Although I like SP2, I'll wait till the official release in june. I'm sure it like everything else MS do will still be full of bugs.

Thanks for the advice
Community Veteran

SP2 has slipped to august/sept release date now, and there is now plenty of time for it to slip again.
N/A

See announcements/Service Updates.
N/A

Smithclan, please read the thread before answering. I was already aware of the announcements/Service Updates and I was already aware of the sasser worm. :x
N/A

Anyone know anything about Sasser?

.........i did.
N/A

Shockedops: should have read my own text more carefully.....
N/A

No probs m8. To try and answer your question;- after installing SP2, go to update site and scan for updates. If no critical updates found, you're covered.
N/A

I've uninstall SP2, I like the features it brings but it's totally unsupported by Bill Gates and his merry men....

In order to be covered for sasser using SP2, you need the latest build of the SP2 (see previous comments) . So I had to uninstalled it whatever if I wanted to be covered.

I'm not willing to take the risk. Besides I don't know if microsoft will provide a patch for those who have installed the beta version and want to change the full monty when it's released.

They are planning a Release Candiate 2 version soon, I might install that.