Safe as Houses?

Once apon a time you didn't need virus protection

then you needed:-

An antivirus package

then

Latest patched browser etc...

then

Software firewall...

then ad-ware/spy-ware detection/removal software...

then ISP based spam and virus filtering

I am really interested to hear from people who feel that they have got an EFFECTIVE combination of software/procedures to deal with 99% of threats on theIr home/home-office computer...

.. What software are you using?
.. What software combinations are you using?
.. What works well
.. What to avoide (false sense of security?)
...What client side software would you consider mandatory nowadays and what optional?
... What security products do you like and what products do you hate?

Views and hyperlink pointers would be much appreciated,

Many thanks, Stefan.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Safe as Houses?

Probably not wehat you are looking for -

But I don't get much spam, when I do I delete it. - spam protection
I don't open attachments or any suspicious files - virus protection
I dont use software that contains spyware etc
My router has NAT which keeps people out.

Chris
N/A

Safe as Houses?

Hi There,

I'm using Linux, can still get a virus etc but I've not experience one : - )))

PRP
N/A

Safe as Houses?

Hi
I use Zone alarm and AVG, both are free, and AVG has free updates. I have used Norton in the past, but started to have problems with system crashes and freezes with it.
AVG has detected three viruses up to now, one from a KaZaa download, and two from emails, I feel quite safe with this set-up.
I don't use any anti-spam software, I don't get a lot, but if I do, I just delete it, no problem. I also try not to use any software that use ad/spy ware.

Ken Lingard
N/A

Safe as Houses?

I have a modem/router, which sorts out the firewall end of things (I used the free version of ZoneAlarm in pre-broadband days and that did a very satisfactory job) and use LavaSoft's Ad-aware for adware/spyware removal and AVG for virus protection (it's also my employers AV package of choice). Spam isn't a major problem so I don't have an application for dealing with that, although I have several friends who use (and recommend) Mailwasher, which is another free for personal use app, for dealing with junk like that. Plus I don't use IE6 at all at home - instead I've got Mozilla (with the Prefbar add-in installed) and Crazy Browser (pop-up ad stopper built in) installed as my browsers - they take care of irritating pop-ups and ActiveX related nonsense. All in all it works very well Cheesy
N/A

Safe as Houses?

I use Zone Alarm Pro, Nortons antivirus & i just add the spam to Mailwashers blacklist it has a handy feature that bounces spam emails back to the sender, dont know if it makes any difference though. Never had a virus orthough Nortons has caught a few in emails attachments.
N/A

Safe as Houses?

Bouncing the spam back to the sender is the wrong aproach, and is spamming in itself.

Spammers allways use a random address from there list of millions, to pretend the mail has come from.

This means, when you bounce the spam, you are sending the mail to some unknown user, who is allreayd likely having problems by receiving spam from that source anyhow.

This can end you in all sorts of bother, and should it become illegal for UCE mail, you may be the one in court for acting as a relay agent.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Safe as Houses?

Requirement:

Virus scanner: used Norton/mcafee in the past both let me down, now use AVG
Firewall: any is better none, not saying which I use but as long as you use one and learn how to read the probe reports you should be ok.

should also have:

spyware/adware scanners: I use ad-ware and spybot nothing left after doing a regular scan each week.
Trojan scanner: if you use p2p at all, then a requirement. so have a look at the Cleaner
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Safe as Houses?

Bouncing the spam back to the sender is the wrong aproach,

This can end you in all sorts of bother, and should it become illegal for UCE mail, you may be the one in court for acting as a relay agent.

I had a look at the mailwasher FAQ after you posted this & i am inclined to agree with this.
N/A

Safe as Houses?

I have to say that I have become concerned recently about the number of LARGE corporate web sites that do not have a working abuse@. postmaster@, webmaster@, etc, etc e-mail address. I have recently received a number of unsolicited e-mails purporting to be sent on behalf of 'Company A', but am unable to verify the legitimacy of the senders claims. Ergo, they get deleted , unopened... Seems some of the big corporates have simply decided that the amount of spam doing the rounds means they can't keep their head above water, so they're just gonna ignore it..
N/A

Firewalls and Anti-Virus

Getting back to Stefan's original points:
I am really interested to hear from people who feel that they have got an EFFECTIVE combination of software/procedures to deal with 99% of threats on their home/home-office computer...

.. What software are you using?
.. What software combinations are you using?
.. What works well
.. What to avoid
... What security products do you like and what products do you hate?

I haven't contributed until now because I had problems, so it might be as well to mention them.
[1] I originally had the bundled PC-Cillin 2000 AV and loaded the free ZoneAlarm firewall. I was told they worked well together and they did ... until ...
[2] The support on these ran at at roughly the same time. I was pretty happy with them and upgraded to PC-Cillin 2003 and ZoneAlarm Plus (not Pro) ... big mistake. Cry
[3] After a long series of problems I found on page 13 (!) of the ZA Readme text file that you shouldn't run PC-C and ZA together Evil so I decided to junk them and get something compatible.
[4] I read several reviews and decided that Norton Internet Security was the way to go - it had good write-ups and the same outfit produced both elements.
[5] It took me just about a month to get it working - mostly it was fine but I had to switch it off to use Outlook or Outlook Express for e-mail :!: These both gave errors:
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity ... Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
The problem arises with NIS and Windows 2000 and has quite a variety of reasons / cures.
In the end I had to delete all trace of Norton / Symantec products, do a completely clean reboot of my machine and reinstall Norton which now (touch wood) works fine.
[6] Lessons learned:
Don't upgrade without checking compatibility closely.
Don't mix PC-Cillin 2003 and ZoneAlarm Plus (or possibly other combinations).
Try to ensure your machine is very clean when installing (I thought mine was the first time!)
Use the vendor's support - both PlusNet and (particularly) Symantec / Norton were extremely helpful. The latter's website and Tech Support went to great lengths to explain what to do (including forbidden territory like amending the Windows registry) - one useful link is
Title: 'How to perform a clean boot of Windows 2000 ' , Symantec Document ID: 2000110615402439
Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2000110615402439

Hope these ramblings help others

John B

PlusNet ADSL Satisfied Customer