cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH Server needed

N/A

SSH Server needed

I have RealVNC www.realvnc.com and want to make the connection across the internet secure. It has been suggested on the website to use ssh. I have a client called putty but just need a bit of free server software. Have found some but they are very complicated MSDOS based to setup etc. Anybody no where to get hold of a decent ssh server software and how putty or any other client for that matter would work with it?

Thanks

Cy
10 REPLIES
N/A

SSH Server needed

you need cygwin to run a decent SSHd as its a linux/unix based idea and most windows ports are sucky.

you can use google on

windows ssh servers

to find a few
N/A

SSH Server needed

I tried cygwin but got a bit confused with it. Wondered if there was a more visual type inferfaced version. I will try Google search again!
N/A

SSH Server needed

can you not run tightvNC or another VNC app that supports encryption or just use Remote Desk top (built into xP as that support it)

Buz
N/A

SSH Server needed

Didn't think TightVNC had encryption. As for remote desktop on XP I suppose I will get around to upgrading my PC's from Win 2000!
N/A

Re: SSH Server needed

I have RealVNC www.realvnc.com and want to make the connection across the internet secure. It has been suggested on the website to use ssh. I have a client called putty but just need a bit of free server software. Have found some but they are very complicated MSDOS based to setup etc. Anybody no where to get hold of a decent ssh server software and how putty or any other client for that matter would work with it?

Thanks

Cy

=================
You could make the connection to a Linux server over the internet via SSH and them from the linux box connect to your internal VNC server. Fedora linux includes RDP and VNC client SW as well as a ssh client/server.
N/A

SSH Server needed

Try Putty for windows ssh
N/A

SSH Server needed

As per the original post, the user has putty as a client, but this is of no use as a server agent.
N/A

Re: SSH Server needed

I have RealVNC www.realvnc.com and want to make the connection across the internet secure

Take a look at OpenVPN

Chris
N/A

SSH Server needed

if its always from the same pc you access ur box from and there is no natting going on you dont actually need any extra software at all. Just configer an ipsec policy on both the machines for all traffic between them/ There are lots of howtos out there on it.

Im not 100% is xp home does it but its a fairly good bet it does,

all 2000/cp pro or server/ and 2003 versions of windows support ipsec

if there is natting going on though use openvpn like the previous post said as its fairly easy to setup
N/A

SSH Server needed

if its always from the same pc you access ur box from and there is no natting going on you dont actually need any extra software at all. Just configer an ipsec policy on both the machines for all traffic between them/ There are lots of howtos out there on it.

Im not 100% is xp home does it but its a fairly good bet it does,

all 2000/cp pro or server/ and 2003 versions of windows support ipsec

if there is natting going on though use openvpn like the previous post said as its fairly easy to setup