cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM

N/A

SPAM

I am constantly bombarded with junk from VERIZON.NET how do I stop these people from doing this, I get at least 10 emails a day from this site even though I bounce everyone ? !!!
7 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

SPAM

NEVER bounce spam.... for two reasons;

1. It lets the spammers know the account is active and moderated
2. It doubles the work load of the mail servers

See: https://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17015

In addition, if you are using Outlook/Outlook Express, you can use the "rules" feature (Tools > Message rules > Mail ...) and do what I did...... block all mail from specific domains Wink (blocked domains now include AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail and Verizon (along with a couple others))
N/A

Anti Spam Replying Ivan

Hello,

What kind of Plusnet account or service do you currently have?, some PN accounts now come with anti virus & anti spam bundled with the service at no extra cost. This was one of the main reasons I changed my F9 (part of PN) account when I upgraded to a 2MB service in order to have the anti virus & spam service.

**I now find the anti spam service invaluable, it does do a good job at identifying genuine spam (with very few mistakes for genuine mail), which means I can delete them quickly & easily in seconds.

**I also use Mailwasher Pro as a second layer of defence so that I can filter spam & junk from legitimate mail locally on my own system. The PN spam service works at server level but the two services work extremely well.

**I'm NOT a big fan of message rules approach in Outlook or Outlook Express (mail clients) as I dont even want the mail to be recieved to my machine & with message rules you are still effectively downloading the rubbish to your own computer. PN spam service & mailwasher allow me to remove all spam & virus junk before they ever get any where near my own computer.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

SPAM

Thanks for the replies guys, have set ps spam filter to medium so will monitor what I get. Am using ps premier so I believe its in my package.

Regards Cliff
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Re: Anti Spam Replying Ivan

**I'm NOT a big fan of message rules approach in Outlook or Outlook Express (mail clients) as I dont even want the mail to be recieved to my machine & with message rules you are still effectively downloading the rubbish to your own computer. PN spam service & mailwasher allow me to remove all spam & virus junk before they ever get any where near my own computer.

I actually tend to use the rules in conjunction with an anti-spam application as K9 (http://keir.net) as I don't use the PN e-mail system.
N/A

Re: SPAM

I am constantly bombarded with junk from VERIZON.NET how do I stop these people from doing this, I get at least 10 emails a day from this site even though I bounce everyone ? !!!

Obviously it wont stop Verizon.net emailing you but instead of wasting your time dealing with their spam just Download Spamihilator http://www.spamihilator.com/ it will take care of the spam, i use this program and no spam ever gets in my inbox.
N/A

SPAM

spamfighter is also good, and free. It intergrates into outlook or outlook express.

Another think is to switch off images, since spammers often insert 1 pixel gifs, to verify e-mail addresses.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

SPAM

Another think is to switch off images, since spammers often insert 1 pixel gifs, to verify e-mail addresses.

Which is also why viewing e-mails in HTML is not a good idea.......

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote shortened to the relevent part of the message. Please don't use the entire content of a preceding message as a quote.