cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP2 woes

vic_newey
Grafter

SP2 woes

thought I would make the effort & install XP SP2 & it now won't load windows at all, it just keeps flashing a blue screen with error message for 1 sec then restarts.
I have been able to get windows loaded by using 'Goback ' which unlike system restore it gives you options before windows loads. Altho this programme saved the day I wonder if it may have actually caused the problem in the first place . Has anyone got Goback installed ? did you get problem installing SP2 ?
Maybe I should have disabled Goback first but then if problem is still there how can I then get into windows ? Evil Evil
19 REPLIES
N/A

SP2 woes

Before windows actually starts, you can press F8 to go into safe mode and roll back any previous changes made, this is built into windows and performs like go back.

As for SP2, some people have been plagued by problems when installing it, including the BSOD.
vic_newey
Grafter

SP2 woes

Ah, forgot about the F8 safemode option, as I remember it gives you opportunity to load last setup that worked, thnx for that
Community Veteran

SP2 woes

Have you visited the Windows XP Service Pack 2 website and followed the advice there. It contains a number of checks and also lists (somewhere) what apps are incompatible and may need updating before you install SP2.

There is also the Windows XP SP2 support centre.

Also make sure you have ALL the updates/patches for SP1 installed before installing SP2.
vic_newey
Grafter

SP2 woes

just tried reinstall with Goback disabled but got same error blue screen,

bit worried when F8 didn't bring up the safemode option screen, gave meachoice as to boot order instead but I kept restarting & pressing the F keys till I got the screen. All is well now but going to take a look at the SP2 website.
holdtight
Grafter

SP2 woes

When i installed SP2 i had the same problem as you
luckily i image my drive regularly so it wasnt much of a problem
i tried many times to install it with the same result it wouldnt even
let me into safe mode

the only way i got it to install was the format install xp then sp2 route
and its run faultlessly since with the same hardware and software
setup that it wouldnt let me install to (figure that)

nothing on the microsoft site gave me any clues and second tier tech
support didnt know either

i know i dont have an answer for you but i thought i would relay my
experience with it

hope you find a solution and you dont have to reformat like i did
vic_newey
Grafter

SP2 woes

the Microsoft site was of no help particularly as most of the suggestions involve :- selecting start / run & then type.etc.
Most of the problems seem to be Intel CPU related, mine is AMD 4000.

I think I will stick with SP1 & maybe download some of the individual critical updates.
N/A

SP2 woes

" think I will stick with SP1 & maybe download some of the individual critical updates."
Unfortunately, sooner or later, you will have to have SP2 installed to get any updates, as was with SP1.....
ChrisC
N/A

SP2 woes

Maybe microsoft, will provide a fix at a later date, to ensure that SP2 can be run on all PC's until they do I think they will have to provide support for SP1.
Community Veteran

SP2 woes

I notice that the latest OEM Version of XP home now comes with XP 2 built in so there will be no option soon for new PCs
N/A

SP2 woes

I guessed that was bound to happen, since Microsoft see SP2 as the way forward but that doesn't really help those who have problems upgrading to it., or suffering problems as a result of upgrading to it.
N/A

SP2 woes

Hi, I trawl around the MS newsgroups alot and find some so called issues regarding SP2 and some users PC's and hopefully this will help....

1) If you've a Dell, Packard Bell, Toshiba, Sony, or any other big league PC manufacturers that might have a hybrid motherboard, bios or any other, then you should always check with them before installing service packs, similar issues happened with those PC's and SP1.

2) Always run software to check for any virus's, adware, scumware, trojan's etc prior to installing a service pack, such as adaware, Mcafee's stinger etc.

3) Perform a backup of important files, can use system restore to make a restore point but I'd advise always backing up to another media as well.

4) Turn off antivirus software

MS will probably not provide any fixes for issues that are not of their making, the majority of those, such as myself and the 150 or so PC's I maintain, do not have any problems.

One thing I will note is the users of AMD64 CPU's, and the myth that SP2 and these CPU's have compatibilty problems. SP2 and AMD64 chips use a feature called DEP to help prevent certain virus's, this can cause problems with older software that has caused lockups, bluescreens or even boot failure's. The cure is to upgrade your software to the latest where ever possible, one such example is Adobe reader.

Sorry to be long winded, just hope that some of this is of some help....
ChrisC
vic_newey
Grafter

SP2 woes

thanks for that, going to wat till I do a reformat & load SP2 directly after windows & then instal various drivers etc.
N/A

SP2 woes

Hi, that's your best bet, the other thing to watch out for is if you have a via chipset make sure you don't load the Via AGP chipset when you install the Hyperion's, the latest one shouldn't anyway. ....
Chris

PS I use a slipstreamed version of XPSP2, saves all the hassle of installing XP then the service pack.
ChrisC
N/A

SP2 woes

Hi, Cattbarton. Could you eleborate on your comment re VIA chipset and Hyperion (4-in-1?)
I am planning to go from Win 98 to XP and I have the VIA chipset.
Thanks.