cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP mail retrieval

N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

I am in a bit of a pickle at the moment, I can't receive mail from the SMTP server.

I have changed from POP3 to SMTP and pointed IP at my server, which is a netpilot (linux for noobs).

I have two settings, INCOMING MAIL and OUTGOING MAIL
INCOMING = it says use your domain i.e. biscuits.co.uk - but in the support section it says "SMTP mail retrieval finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net". So what do i use? my domain or postmaster@autorun.plus.net.

OUTGOING = relay.plus.net
13 REPLIES
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

please ??

by the way how long does it take for SMTP settings to be updated.. is it 24 hours or 4 hours.

TIA
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

Well, it takes 24 hours for the DNS records to update, then there is the timeout on cached records (+Net could advise more on that part).

Seeing as most of it is DNS record related, it would point to the above time,
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

This piccy may help:

http://www.nryonline.co.uk/images/myDomainSettings.jpg

It's a piccy of my DNS settings with plus.net with my IP blanked out. My home e-mail server is called 'linux' hence this entry.

Hope it's of use, it took me ages to work out how to use the DNS setup page as the help files are not really of much help!

Regards,

nry
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

i understand that...

it just I don't know where the SMTP mail retrieval finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net

comes in when configuring my postfix mail server. is the autoturn.plus.net the incoming mail server? relay.plusnet being the outgoing?
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

Hmm, maybe I'm plugging myself again here, but this link may help you get postfix working?

http://www.nryonline.co.uk/documents/html/PostfixEmail.htm

I only changed 4 lines in my postfix config file, and postfix itself basically becomes the outgoing and incoming mail server, there's no need to add any of the plusnet stuff anywhere.

Again, hope this helps,

nry
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

wow impressed you document this.... thats fantastic and extremely helpful.

However I am using a Linux box that has a distro made by equiinet (make Netpilots custom VPN boxes). It says pickup mail from domain (for incoming) and i made that the @biscuit.co.uk. I was just curious what +Net was on about.

I like to get into the nitty gritty but this boxs prevents users from going to shell.

My question nry is in your logs in post fix what shows mail is being attempted to be received? I have set it to pickup mail every 2 mins, but I don't get a msg in log to say its attempting 2 pick up mail... should it?

postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
Aug 28 11:22:09 postfix/master[980]: reload configuration
Aug 28 11:22:38 postfix/sendmail[13907]: warning: sendmail is set-uid root, or is run from a set-uid root process

Thanks... Chris
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

I'm a tad lost now. From what you describe, it seems you have postfix configured to collect mail from an external mail server whereas my postfix is configured to accept any mail sent to it (providing the send-to address exists!)..

The logs show mail being sent from my box to other domains (when I send a mail) and shows mail being received from other domains when someone sends me an e-mail. I don't pick mail up from anywhere else as I don't need to so I can't help you there. I'm wondering if the setting actually tells postfix what domain to accept e-mails from ie only accept e-mails when the e-mail address contains the domain 'biscuits.co.uk'.

With my setup, postfix doesn't pick up mail. It receives mail sent to my domain. In my logs I see this mail being delivered and the log shows which mail relay has delivered the mail.....I wonder if the two minute setting you mention is actually something to do with how often postfix scans the outgoing mail queue to see if any new mail is there that needs sent? I guess you could test this by sending yourself an e-mail and timing how long it takes to get back to you. If it's 2 minutes then that's the answer. If it's instant then it could be time to ask someone else! Smiley

Hope this helps?

Regards,

nry
Community Veteran

SMTP mail retrieval

SMTP is not like POP3 - with POP3, the ISP mail server receives your mail, and you periodically connect to that machine and download it.

With SMTP, the mail is PUSHED to your machine, so your machine should receive any mail that is sent to it (for your local domain).

The FINGER command, is used to tell PlusNet that you are online. The reason for this is that Plusnet are your 'secondary' mail servers. When you are offline, mail will be queued on their servers. When you return to an online status, you send the finger command, and Plusnet "dequeue" the mail that they have stored for you to your mail server.

Hope this info helps

B.
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

ok thanks

I understand how SMTP works, I just find it odd how I don't have to declare any FINGER settings. Just incoming which is set to SMTP @biscuit.co.uk, and out going relay.+.net, there is no where for me to declare any FINGER settings. And I have change the Domain settings to SMTP and stated my IP.

I can send mail just not receive it, in the logs i see mail being sent but not received, i was wondering if there was supposed to be a declaration in the logs every 2mins to show whether mail was being received (or attemtped).

In hind sight I have 2 IP's and my linux box uses *.*.*.26 however i SSH to it via 25 which is my router (how i can connect to 26 by typing 25 is beyond me), maybe I have pointed the e-mail at the wrong ip as i expected it to be routed to the linux box just as ssh is.

I will in future use good old clarkconnect servers, last time i'm going to get pushed into buying something by an accountant :p
csogilvie
Grafter

SMTP mail retrieval

http://www.nryonline.co.uk/documents/html/PostfixEmail.htm

Ooh, thats useful - although about 4 days too late for me Cheesy
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

:roll:

I still can't retreive e-mail.
What do i set my incoming mail server as, in postfix? biscuit.co.uk , biscuit.plus.com

Not picking anything up... sends no problem. Nothing in logs to say its attempting to receive. V.annoying. Sad
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

I have a router ----- Linux box. Both have seperate IP's.
*.*.*.25 *.*.*.26

I can ping the 25 ip but not the 26 address. If i want to connect to the linux box i simply type in the ip of the router and i assume it is routed to the 26 machine.

Anyway I have set SMTP to direct mail to the 25, because if I can't ping the 26 then i assume mail can't get there.... am i right in thinking this?
N/A

SMTP mail retrieval

Hmm, do you have 2 public IP addresses? If so then:

1) What is the public facing IP of the router? (external)
2) What is the private facing IP of the router? (internal)
3) What is the IP of your Linux PC?

I think you answered 1 and 3 already, in which case I'm curious about the internal IP of the router. If you have a 4-block IP range from plus.net then you need to follow the guidelines at this webpage:

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?IuoF7co%2FVcM%3D

although this page also has info about setting up a router with only 1 static IP address. With a 4-block IP then both the external and internal IP's of the router are public, and you assign the 3rd public IP to your e-mail server and/or web-server. Providing the router is set up right then you should be able to ping the Linux PC from both inside and outside of your LAN.

If you only have 1 static IP then you can't assign a public IP to your Linux PC, you have to assign it a private IP eg 192.168.3.2, assign the internal routet IP to be eg 192.168.3.1 and then set the router up to forward port 25 requests from the Internet to the private IP of your Linux PC which would be eg 192.168.3.2

This may help you out?

Regards,

nry