cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Mail retrieval

N/A

SMTP Mail retrieval

Finally bit the bullet and changed my dns / mx record settings and all looks fine, can use nslookup to check mail settings and can send email. But........can't receive any. I've opened port 25 to any address and used Sygate online security check to verify this port is open (not sure it should be that open!!) but still can't receive mail. Am I missing something?
6 REPLIES
N/A

SMTP Mail retrieval

Are you running a mailserver on your machine?
N/A

SMTP Mail retrieval

Yes, WorkgroupMail. All looks ok on that as I was receiving mail via POP3 / SMTP before pointing the mx records to my mail server and changing to SMTP
N/A

SMTP Mail retrieval

I don't use sygate, so bare with me.

Is it possible to monitor a port, yet not block it. Sygate may hel you diagnose if it is even seeing a connection.

Also important.

AFAIK, you will see the changes reflected localy before the rest of the internet. Many internet severs have have the details cached.

What domain are you talking of (PM me if needed) and I will have a look from another network.
N/A

SMTP Mail retrieval

Help.......I'm still unable to retrieve mail from PM. Can send ok just not receive. I have checked and doubled checked the settings and they are fine. Anyone got any idea on why mail is still not being received? Do I need to use this finger command to start it, (if so how do I do it?) or is it something else?
N/A

SMTP Mail retrieval

I have just checked over the DNS settings again, and can confirm that the MX and A records are now present and correct.

If you are now failing to receive e-mail, then there is somthing wrong in your own setup.

E-mail DNS records operate by the PRI feild. Each server is tried in the order of lowest priority to highest.

Your machine is currently the lowest record.

As such, if a mail server is failing to connect to your server, then the problem lies either in your firewall or mailserver.

Connecting to your machine works fine, returning

220 webhost ESMTP WorkgroupMail 7.0.4 Monday, 20 October 2003 10:11:58

Any mail that has collected on the PlusNet servers as backup, can be told to send onwards using the finger command. I am unsure how this operates or if it is available in WorkGroupMail.

Somebody else may hwlp with that.
N/A

SMTP Mail retrieval

Thanks guys. Everything seems to be working fine. It was just test email on server so I can delete it.