cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Feed to an exchange server

N/A

My network consists of a few servers 1 DC, 1 Exchange 2003 server and 1 ISA server. The isa is conected to the net, and to the internal network via a second network card. What im trying to do is have all emails sent to my mail server. So i set up my domain mail settings to other and then added the following DNS records.

Left field Type Pri Right field
mail.domain.com. a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
mx 5 mail.domain.com.

Do these records look right..?

I may need to setup the ISA box to allow port 25 access aswell. Hope fully the ISA box will forward the requests to the MAIL server.

Is this correct or am i missing something out.
13 REPLIES
N/A

You should enter only a single hostname rather than fully qualified domain name in the fields.

It should look like

Left field Type Pri Right field
mail a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
mx 5 mail
N/A

Thanks got it sort of working now, my ISA box needs some work done on the ports now as it will only send mail if i open them all up. Needs a bit refining i think.
N/A

Just to let everyone know i now have exchange 2003 working great with plusnet from behind my ISA firewall, also have OWA with ssl working great aswell.
So if anyone is having a few problems drop me a mail and il see if i can help you out.

Just a quck one when i lookup my MX records it comes up as

mydomain.com. 14400 MX 16 mx.last.plus.net.
mydomain.com. 14400 MX 5 mail.mydomain.com.

Am i right in saying that the mx.last.plus.net record is pointing to a plusnet mail server that will pick up my mail incase my mail server goes down. If so how do i know if that server has anymail on for myself..?
csogilvie
Grafter

From memory, mx.last will pass it on to your primary mail server when it comes up - you only need to do something if you also have autoturn.plus.net.uk listed as a mail server - theny ou need to finger it.
N/A

Thanks for the fast reply. Answered my question great.
N/A

Hi,

I have also just set up a test Exchange 2003 server on Windows 2003. From the portal I set my domain e-mail option to other and then set up a MX and A record for my mail server. All seems to be working ok, and outgoing and incoming mail is working.

I have a question about the backup mail servers that will take my mail if my server is unavailable. If I do a MX lookup I get the record I created and also the mx.last.plus.net record, so I assume all mail is placed here until my server is back up, however I switched my server off the other night as a test, and the next day I'm sure that I only received 1 e-mail out of 3 that were sent to me overnight (got it about 3 hours after I turned the server back on).

The questions I have are:
1) How does this mx.last server know my mail server is back up, and hence start sending me any mail it may have. Does it just try to contact my server at random intervals, or does it try say every hour, or is there something I can do to set it off.
2) Other people have mentioned the Autoturn server. I know this is where mail gets queued up and then you can un-queue it with a finger command. I thought the MX record for this was also automatically created. So why hasn't it in my case, and which is better, having mail go to the autoturn server or the mx.last server.

Ian.
N/A

Hi,

I have also just set up a test Exchange 2003 server on Windows 2003. From the portal I set my domain e-mail option to other and then set up a MX and A record for my mail server. All seems to be working ok, and outgoing and incoming mail is working.

I have a question about the backup mail servers that will take my mail if my server is unavailable. If I do a MX lookup I get the record I created and also the mx.last.plus.net record, so I assume all mail is placed here until my server is back up, however I switched my server off the other night as a test, and the next day I'm sure that I only received 1 e-mail out of 3 that were sent to me overnight (got it about 3 hours after I turned the server back on).

The questions I have are:
1) How does this mx.last server know my mail server is back up, and hence start sending me any mail it may have. Does it just try to contact my server at random intervals, or does it try say every hour, or is there something I can do to set it off.
2) Other people have mentioned the Autoturn server. I know this is where mail gets queued up and then you can un-queue it with a finger command. I thought the MX record for this was also automatically created. So why hasn't it in my case, and which is better, having mail go to the autoturn server or the mx.last server.

Ian.
N/A

From the experiments I did sometime ago, mx.last just tries to send the email straight out again - so if it can't access your server, I presume it just stores it and tries a few hours later (that is what my server would do).
With autoturn listed in your mx record and your server offline, then mx.last will just send it on to autoturn - however as autoturn is normally set to a higher priority, I guess it is fairly unlikely to get to mx.last in the first place.
I've no idea why you don't have autoturn set up.
N/A

Idiot newbie - Exchange 2003 and Plus Net

Heeelp

I have transferred the domain name - where next?
N/A

What are you trying to do..?
N/A

my email comes in ok
pumptecengineering.co.uk

but i cant send
Community Veteran

Still no idea what you are trying to do. Please explain what you have setup, what software you are using and what you want to happen. Just saying I can receive but can't send is meaningless without any background information.
N/A

Exchange info

Have a look see at this site, loads of stuff on exchange set up.

http://www.msexchange.org/