cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS2003 Premium running Exchange 2003

N/A

Hi all, just wandering if anyone on here has any knowledge of Exchange 2003 and would be willing to give me a few hints (please replace few hints as complete walkthrough !!) to setting it up to control the email for my domain.

I have run the Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard (CEICW) on SBS2003 and I believe to have done this correctly.
I have asked PlusNet to forward all my email to the live IP address of my router and then tried to set up port forwarding for port 25 to the internal IP of my Exchange box - this however is telling me that it has already been assigned by another process (I have a Netgear DG-834GT router) which I imagine has been assigned during the CEICW.

Basically the email is not coming through and I am not sure what to do next.

I have been told I may need to run a finger command (CMD -> finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net) but am not sure if this will fix it.

I have also been told that I may need a static, live IP solely for my server, but can't imagine why this would make a difference.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Phil
4 REPLIES
N/A

The setup wizard would not be able to access the router and set up the port forward. Either this is an error with the router or indeed port 25 is currently being used.

A test method would be to set the DMZ ip on the router to the internal ip of the server. Although this poses a security risk by opening your server to the internet it will help determine if the problem is with the server or what plusnet have done.

Make sure if you using windows server 2003 that the firewall is unlocked for inbound smpt, i.e. the software firewall for port 25.

Jake
N/A

Jake - really apreciate the reply and the DMZ option as a means of testing if this works sounds like a cracking option so I may well give that a try.

As far as your suggestion for the firewall goes, are you talking about, Windows Firewall in Control Panel and configuring the Exceptions tab to allow TCP traffic on port 25?

The wizard asks if 'I' would like it to connect to the router and configure it, am I right in thinking that, form your response, it does not in fact make this connection?

Thanks again Jake, your comments are appreciated.
Phil
N/A

I am talking about enabling an exception for incoming on port 25 for smtp in the windows firewall if you are using win 2003.

In terms of it asking to connect to the router i have only ever set up standalone exchange so dont get this option. I would have thought it unlikely if the software could control the router, but check in the port forwarding tab on the router to see.

Please email me for more help or msn me if you have it.

Jake
N/A

SBS 2003 Running Exchange 2003

Hi There,
Is there a specific reason why you have requested all mails to be sent to your server? SBS includes a POP3 connector which when configured will connect to your ISP pop server & download your mail for you. It will also distribute it to individual users or as a group mail.

As for the server configuring your router - ignore this as it is an information form informing you to configure your router.

It sounds like you may have the POP server configured & running on your server which is why you are getting the port 25 error - do you need to run the POP server internally? If you are using Outlook (NOT outlook express) then you don't need the POP Server configured & running.

I will try to help with any other issues posted.

Mike Taylor
MCSA 2003