cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Fun

N/A

Router Fun

Hi there,

I have IIS running on my XP machine which worked fine until I bought my new router.

Now, whenever I try to access my machine from outside, I recieve the router's web-based config tool instead my main PC's.

The router has a Conexant firmware and I'm guessing that the 'Route Table' screen is the way to make it 'go' - but I can't seem to bring it to life.

Any help would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES
N/A

Router Fun

The route table does nto sound like what you want.

Routes are a method of redirecting traffic to certain hosts via another connection.

A real life example is our current mail provider in work. They will only currently accept e-mail from own domain, provided it comes from a BT Openworld connection. We have both a PlusNet and a BTO ADSL connection at this time, and we you our route table to redirect e-mail traffic via this BTO link.

What you do need to be looking for is port forwarding, NAT and security.

For the most part, you should be looking to try and change the port on which the routers config pages are hosted. That should clear up one issue.

You should then be lookign to secure the rotuer, so it can only be configured from a LAN connection, or if needed, restricted to a single IP on your LAN.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Router Fun

Hi there,

I have IIS running on my XP machine which worked fine until I bought my new router.

Now, whenever I try to access my machine from outside, I recieve the router's web-based config tool instead my main PC's.

The router has a Conexant firmware and I'm guessing that the 'Route Table' screen is the way to make it 'go' - but I can't seem to bring it to life.

Any help would be appreciated.

at a guess its the Origo 8400 or AR41 both wont allow you to view Any server on your lan from the Wan side. so you have to use a proxy to check it.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017