Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rouge mail

N/A

Rouge mail

Hi,

Tonight I clicked on a URL from what appeared to be my bank. Shockedops:

I entered my name and sent the first page. Fortunately, the second page as genuine as it looked- I know my bank have a drop down field to choose the password so I closed it down.

I put a query on the Service portal (thanks for the prompt reply) as I was concerned about my public IP address being known by these con artists and worried that I might now be targeted. The reply came back as they doubt it would be known.

I thought every time you visit a URL your IP address is broadcast so the host can reply

:?
6 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Rouge mail

Sounds like a lucky escape.

The websites you visit can pick up your address, and as you say they need it to know where to send the reply to. But I doubt if these people in this case would bother with that. They are after your bank details rather than just to annoy you and wouldn't waste time gathering IP addresses when enough people are sending bank and credit card details.

The oft-repeated rule is never to click on a link in an email to get to your bank/credit card or whatever site, though many people still do.

That said, one of my credit card companies still includes a link in its emails telling me to log on and check my statement, and that's a big bank and a legitimate email, so they don't help themselves.
Community Veteran

Rouge mail

I did here that one of the large US banks had come up with a scheme to reduce phishing. Whereby during login you are presented with a picture of yourself, that you had presubmitted.

The idea being that only the bank has the genuine picture and any phishers would not. So if the wrong picture of no picture was presented, you know it a fake site.

Chilly
N/A

Rouge mail

Thanks for the reply guys. Cheesy
So If I just keep an aye in things it should be OK- internet wise.
I have notified the bank Evil
N/A

Rouge mail

Whereby during login you are presented with a picture of yourself, that you had presubmitted.

The idea being that only the bank has the genuine picture and any phishers would not. So if the wrong picture of no picture was presented, you know it a fake site.

Chilly

It's a great idea, but it would only work if the bank knew your IP address, as if you had to log in its too late.

I use a program called spoofstick, which displays the real address of the site, so you know your not really at the bank site.
N/A

Rouge mail

Thanks!
I think I will add Spoofstick to Firefox. Cheesy
Alecto
Grafter

Rouge mail

Thanks Aaron
I've just put Spoofstick into firefox and apart from the extra security, it' adds a nice bit of colour to the top right hand corner of the screen.
That bit of my top toolbar was very empty and grey before. Tongue