cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogue pop-ups from Messenger / .net

gosforth
Grafter

I occassionally getting unwelcome pop-up adverts through messenger. I have a firewall installed (Outpost) and my Windows 2000pro is up to date. I have an up-to-date version of McAfee virus scan. I have selected "only people on my allow list can see my status" on the privacy options in Messenger.

Has anybody got any ideas how people are getting into my machine ti get it to display pop-ups?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Chris
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

From MSN or the windows service Messenger?

If Messenger then just disable it via the admin tools in control panel. In Services scroll down to Messenger and choose to disable, that will stop the spam

No idea for MSN dont use it
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Kernuak

There have been reports of similar pop-ups over recent months. Almost certainly they have nothing to do with Messenger itself. It is usually associated with spyware. Try downloading and running Spybot Search and Destroy and/or Ad-Aware. You will find that both bits of software miss some things that the other picks up, so they are both useful.
grahambritten
Grafter

Chris

From your description the pop-ups are coming from the Windows Messenger Service. They're nothing to do with Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger.

This is how to fix it… (I'm running xp Pro, must be similar in Windows 2000)

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services - now scroll down until you find Messenger, right click it and choose properties. On the General tab under Startup Type make sure it is set to Manual, then click on the Stop button. Windows will then close the service. When it's closed click OK and close all the open windows.

No more Messenger pop-ups unless you want to start the service again :!:

Hope this helps.

Graham