cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revoltingly headed mail

N/A

Revoltingly headed mail

I logged onto this site from another computer to check on my emails. I clicked on the Webmail link to find the inbox full of mails with disgusting subjects. Ever since then we have been receiving tons of these mails. I really don't want my son (or anyone else for that matter) catching sight of the subject lines. I've read about sending a re-direct to a black hole but I just wouldn't be able to send out a new mail address as we're right in the middle of renovation work and the amount of ordering going on is ridiculous. I have a Mac and use the mail program that comes with the OSX. It's filtering out a load of these mails and placing them in my junk mail box but I'm still getting 14 or more a day into my Inbox.
Help!
5 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Revoltingly headed mail

Hi Squeaky
Sorry - I'm not replying with the answer, but to agree with the problem. Like yours, my mailbox fills up each day with obscene spam, usually accompanied by equally or more obscene graphics.
I did notice that once, when my account was closed down for a few weeks because my Direct Debit failed (I'd moved my bank account), the tidal wave of filth stopped completely for quite a while, but then gradually started up again.
I know I could use an "alias" email address and keep changing it, but
1) I like the domain name I've got, and
2) I'd have to keep telling people the new address, and how do I know who might send me email that I do want?
One of my major concerns is that even deleting stuff only marks the FAT entry as empty and the picture or whatever may still be sitting there on my HD waiting for someone (like the PC Thought Police) to find it and think I actually wanted it!
I wondered if part of the problem was having a fixed IP address and would it help (even temporarily) to change it?
Community Veteran

Revoltingly headed mail

If you setup your e-mail client to read messages in plain text, it will prevent the display of the unwanted pictures. Most/some of these pictures are not attached to the e-mail but use a HTML link that is embedded in the e-mail to fetch the picture when you open the mail.

Also where are you publishing your e-mail address? I suggest that you have a couple of e-mail address that you use, one for friends & family, one or more for website registrations (I use one for each website), etc.

If one of these gets spammed, then setup a redirect to blackhole@abuse.plus.com.

Chilly
N/A

Revoltingly headed mail

I think there is talk of setting up the facility to allow all e-mails which are marked [SPAM] to a different account, thereby allowing you to check them just in case there are any genuine e-mails.

Personally I use Spamfighter to filter all my e-mails, it's free as well. I like Chilly has suggested, have turned off GIFs within e-mails, since they are also used to track whether an e-mail account is actually active.
N/A

icky emails

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm probably going to have to resort to getting rid of the current email address and start afresh. I guess that at least I'll be cutting out alot of the deadwood in my address book...
I do actually have another email address with Yahoo but because we haven't yet got broadband I don't tend to use it as much seeing as I have to go onto the web to check it. It's the husband's fault. Definitely something he's logged onto or ordered.
I can't see these mails stopping in the near future. A friend has suggested trying out Solidblue Spam Interceptor which is also free. I might try one of these first and see what happens.
:roll:
fastpipe
Grafter

Re: Revoltingly headed mail

I logged onto this site from another computer to check on my emails. I clicked on the Webmail link to find the inbox full of mails with disgusting subjects. Ever since then we have been receiving tons of these mails. I really don't want my son (or anyone else for that matter) catching sight of the subject lines. I've read about sending a re-direct to a black hole but I just wouldn't be able to send out a new mail address as we're right in the middle of renovation work and the amount of ordering going on is ridiculous. I have a Mac and use the mail program that comes with the OSX. It's filtering out a load of these mails and placing them in my junk mail box but I'm still getting 14 or more a day into my Inbox.
Help!

Hi, I use Mail on my Mac too. I presume you are using the Spam filter, So when you get a new spam message in your inbox, click it then click on the 'Spam' button, then next time a similar email arrives that will be sent to spam also. I now get no spam in my inbox Smiley