Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS help

Alecto
Grafter

Reverse DNS help

Hello
When I joined PN, Shields Up identified my computer as "myname.plus.com".
After asking on here, I raised a ticket with Pn such that Shields Up saw only my IP number.
I've now by chance found out that "myname.plus.com" is visible again, though I've done nothing to cause it.

Could anyone pse tell me whether Pn have done anything to change this
and what I have to do to change it back.?
9 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Reverse DNS help

Same here Geoff having just read this and checking at shields up as i had done the same thing it also now states username.plus.com instead of my ip address which i had changed it to some time ago

So an answer to this would be appreciated as i would rather it was back to how it was before just showing an ip

Im assuming its something PN have done and we have to go through the asking to have it changed back routine :roll:
Community Veteran

Reverse DNS help

There is also a thread over on the PlusNet User Group on this issue.
http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,2468.0/topicseen.html

PlusNet are aware of the problem.

Chilly
Alecto
Grafter

Reverse DNS help

Thank you chilly.
I can't follow your thread as I've forgotten my login details, but I assume it's a known problem and Pn will solve it when they get round to it.
After everything else.

edit:
Just received an email about it:

We are currently investigating a problem affecting customers' custom rDNS records. Reports from our customers are showing that some rDNS records and have been reset back to the default records. We are currently looking at how many records and have been affected and will post a further update when more information is available.
holdtight
Grafter

Reverse DNS help

Thanks Chilly !

Bill.

EDIT:
Ive followed your link for a read and im getting this error

[PlusNet Usergroup » Error
An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.]

I am logged in without problem any ideas ?
Community Veteran

Reverse DNS help

That link is not in the public forums of the PUG message board hence why you got the error.
holdtight
Grafter

Reverse DNS help

Ok thanks Peter !
Community Veteran

Reverse DNS help

Shockedops: sorry guys.
Alecto
Grafter

Reverse DNS help

I wonder why the PUG needs secret boards then?

Still, seems the problem's sorted now - though Shields Up now displays my IP and plusnet.com whereas before it didn't use to show the plusnet.com.
Is this OK?
Community Veteran

Reverse DNS help

The boards are not “secret” in any evil sort of way; they simply provide a communications channel between the PlusNet User Group, and PlusNet staff.

They allow us to raise issues such as the failure of the rDNS with the comm’s team.

Chilly