cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS and PlusNet

N/A

Reverse DNS and PlusNet

Hi,

I've recently gotten the Plus Net ADSL service. I am not using the Static IP option.

I've noticed that when I log into my Plus Net account, the IP address I am assigned is immediately associated with the domain username.plus.com. This can be a security issue because movements can be tracked. Everytime I visit a site, they can reverse DNS my IP address and always get the same answer: username.plus.com. That is potentially worse than any cookie left on my machine.

Don't get me wrong, I also the the benefits of this setup. However, is there anyway to change the situation? Details of the risks can be found at www.grc.com and doing the Shields UP test.

thanks,
5 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Reverse DNS and PlusNet

I am not using the Static IP option

As I understand it, on PlusNet ADSL you get a Static IP with no option not to have it.
You can get the rDNS changed to be a_b_c_d.plus.com, anything.adomainonyouraccount or no rDNS by following a Contact Us Path of:

Technical Support -> Static IP / Reverse DNS Setup -> Change my Reverse DNS (PTR) configuration

and explaining what you want.
N/A

Reverse DNS and PlusNet

If you want to hide your id then use a anonimus proxy server which will hide your ip.
N/A

Thanks

Thanks for the link to customer support. Lots of good information I had not seen before. Hope they get they ADSL dynamic IP address option working...
N/A

Reverse DNS and PlusNet

I think the way DSL is set up at Plusnet, you cannot have a dynamic IP address.

Most other broadband ISP's are also static IP.
N/A

Reverse DNS and PlusNet

if you use a proxy server will this hide your identity if you are sharing filesHuh

and is it better than a program like peer guardian??

a hyperthetical question of course