cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote email access

N/A

Remote email access

For the past couple of weeks I've been accessing my email from outside the Plus.Net network. Earlier this week I found that I could no longer send messages and raised a ticket. I got this response:

"When using relay.plus.net you must be dialled into us. IF you arn't, the system will fail."

I've no reason to doubt the accuracy of that information (which is why I'm posting here rather than arguing directly with support!), but it does seem that something changed over the last week. Was that a deliberate decision or just tightening up policies that should already have been in place?

And, more importantly, what's the solution? I am using the broadband connection in a hotel with no other available SMTP server. Is my best option to use the webmail service?

Thanks,
--> Stephen
7 REPLIES
N/A

Remote email access

Those policies should have allways been in place.

This is a basic spam provention tecnique. When a cutomer is connected to there own platform, be it via ADSL or modem, the customer can be held accountable for actions made.

Phone number logs are available direct to them.

This is not so when connected with a third-party provider.

PlusNet do have plans to enable authenticated SMTP, however, until further information is available, we can't say if this will allow you to use them through a third-party connection.

As such, there is no other method than webmail at this moment in time.
N/A

Remote email access

Okay, thanks for your reply. Thought it would be something like that but just wanted to check!

--> Stephen
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Remote email access

Surely there is another way ! You should be able to dial up using the Plusnet Pay as You Go number from a hotel and send using SMTP without any difficulty. I do it all the time, even from abroad for a quickie.

But when I am abroad, I generally use various local ISP Pay as You Go numbers to connect to the internet from hotels in Germany, France and Spain, and temporarily re-set Outlook to the SMTP server of that particular ISP, and POP3 to mail.plus.net. The local ISP call gets charged to the hotel room at local rates in the normal way.

Does that answer the question or am I missing something ?

Nick
N/A

Remote email access

I didn't try dialing in, partially because I was trying to avoid international call charges and partially because I assumed that it wouldn't work if the CLI number is not available -- I'm guessing that it won't be there if calling from the US?

Anyway, I found a more devious solution: I ssh into work and use port-forwarding to connect to their mail server. More complicated than your solution but cheaper!

--> Stephen
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Remote email access

For Pay as You Go, there is no CLi number involved, as far as I know. Maybe someone can confirm that, but I have dialled in from all over and never had any trouble.

I avoid the international rates as I said by signing up to a local Pay as You Gp ISP in the country in which I am staying. There is no long term commitment and it works and above all it is cheap. Once you are signed up in that country, you can email from anywhere - and you have another email address which you can give to a site who you think is going to burden you with spam mail and then never have to look at it !!
Community Veteran

Remote email access

If you are dialling into PlusNet from a free account then you must prsent CLI, if you have a paid account e.g. a Lite account or Netstart or an ADSL account then you can dial the 0845 numbers and connect without presenting your number. Numbers are never presented when dialling from abroad.

Some countries / providers don't allow you to dial non geographic numbers 0845 / 0800 / 0870 etc, however most do these days, I certainly remember at least one or two American telcos disallowing these numbers.

Chris
N/A

Remote email access

The pay-as-you-go thing is a really good idea in Europe, certainly one I plan on using next time I'm working on the continent! However I think that having free local phone calls stopped the the same idea taking off here in US.

I found a few free ISPs that display loads of adverts, but they require plug-ins that only work on Windows (I have a Mac). The rest require a subscription, not really worth it if I'm here for just a few weeks.

--> Stephen