cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Desktop - confused

N/A

Running XP Pro on my home pc, which is connected through a router to plusnet.

Work laptop running Windows 2K pro, also plugged into router when working at home.

When trying to control XP desktop from Laptop, it works fine when on my home LAN (so I can specify a destination IP on the laptop of 10.0.0.10), but refused to connect from the great wide world via my fixed IP.

Port 3389 is open on the router and pointing at port 3389 on 10.0.0.10 (XP machine static IP), but still nothing. I've checked it using the 80.229.xxx.xxx IP from home as well, and it's the same - also gives me the chance to make sure that ZoneAlarm isn't blocking anything - it isn't.

Like I said - confused!!!
23 REPLIES
N/A

You might want to try disabling ZoneAlarm temporarily, to test if it's the problem. It could be that it works for you because you're within the network, so ZoneAlarm doesn't see it as a threat. But someone trying to connect from outside the network may be seen as a hacking attempt.

If you look in the Alerts/Logs tab does it show anything concerning this port?
N/A

Nothing in the ZA alert log for port 3389, still doesn't work with ZA disabled.

If I had enough hair left to tear out, I'd be tearing right now!!!
Community Veteran

Did you disable or uninstall ZA. Often you need to uninstall ZA before it stops interfering with your net connection.

Are you sure the connection attempts are getting through your router.

Have you tried with the latest firmware version for your router?

You could try using Ethereal network monitor to check if any incoming connection attempts are seen by your network card - it must be run on the system expecting the connection attempts.
N/A

Tried the latest firmware on the router, unfortunately the upgrade reset the admin password to something other than what it should be, so that's one dead router :roll:

Still at least going back to the old router tells me that wasn't the problem!

I'm reasonably convinced that for some reason they're not getting through the router - I've also got work's VPN software on the laptop that may or may not be making a difference - souldn't have thought so, but who knows?

Going to get someone else to have a go with a "vanilla" connection and see if it will work then; what I do know is that the person at the next desk can get through to his fine with, as far as I can see, the same settings in his router.

All hair now gone BTW Cheesy
Community Veteran

What is the make/model of the router you can't login to? And did you check the info included woth the firmware, maybe it tells you what the new admin password is.
N/A

It's a PTI router, and apparently it resets the password to "password". Errr. No.
Community Veteran

If you can supply the full details make, model, version and the firmware version you upgraded to, someone may know what the password actually is now.
N/A

have you forwarded both tcp and udp?

You also have port 80 open to the world with a IIS under construction page. This often means an unpatched instulation open to attack.

It clear you not using IIS so close the port
N/A

Yep, TCP and UDP were both forwarded.

As for port 80, I'm back on the Binatone now, and it wasn't showing as being specifically forwarded - I've switched of IIS instead for now, so 80 is going to the router admin logon. (Yes I've changed the password before anyone asks Cool )

Given up trying to figure out the RDP and what's wrond with the PTI router for now, busy on other things - thanks for all the advice though folks, I'll probably be revisiting it in a couple of months time once my hols are over
N/A

I just tried and I got a remote desktop connection to your pc first time so it should work ok for you. You still have port 80 open
N/A

Was that a remote desktop login or admin to the router?
N/A

Remote desktop via TS client. Tried again no problems. What is strange is first time I could ping you but now I cant ping you but can connect via TS client.
N/A

Even stranger - I've turned off remote access from this PC!

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the full IP from?
N/A

If I ping mikeosborne.plus.com I get the ip and I still get the RD connection but no ping