cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Connection

N/A

Remote Connection

right ,

on the routers, you need to forward port 3389 TCP to the internal ips. Once this is done, on box A go start ->run->mstsc and type the EXTERNAL ip of the other box, it will now connect to that box. this will work both ways.

buz
8 REPLIES
N/A

Remote Connection

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction to a tutorial on how to set up a connection to my home pc connected to a static IP on Plusnet from my daughters pc on a Broadband connection with a different supplier. I also would like to access applications on either PC. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Thread moved to a more apt part of the forums.
N/A

Remote Connection

I would recommend that you use VNC - http://www.realvnc.com - which will enable you to access the PC as if it were in front of you.
Ianwild
Grafter

Remote Connection

Yep - VNC is probably the best way to go...

Is the PC you want to connect to using a USB modem, or a router?
N/A

Remote Connection

What's wrong with using RDP?
N/A

Remote Connection

Hello Ian, both PC's are using Routers via Lan cards. My ISP is Plusnet and my daughter is on Twest.
N/A

Remote Connection

Which ever method you use you will have to open up the port on both routers and point it at the correct pc.
N/A

Remote Connection

Are they both runing windows XP pro? if yes, use the Remote desktop built in (right click my computer -> properties -> remote and tick the box to allow remote desktop. to connect .. Start -> run -> mstsc and then type theip of the box u want to connect to

buz
N/A

Remote Connection

Thanks for the info everyone, but I am still slightly confused. Both PC's are using ADSL routers, each one connected to the telco provider (BT and Telewest)... As a numpty here wanting to connect both pc's with each one having different different I.P.'s on different networks... eg if I do ipconfig/all I see the address for the local network the local machine uses but no info on the static address Plusnet has assigned to me, even though I know what it is. Given the 2 pieces of information, local address on the home network and that assigned by Plusnet how do I then get both machines talking... Both machines are on different networks and more than a hundred miles apart.... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Paul