cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registering a domain thru +net: advice please

N/A

Hi,

I am seriously thinking of registering a domain and was considering using the registration through +net. My questions are:

1) Does the domain belong to me or to +net. In other words if I teminate my contract do I still have the rights to the domain (if I've it all paid off). Is there a period of time when I don't have rights to the domain?

2)How much information do I really have to give during the registration? I had a quick look and there seems to be a lot of personal info required. I've nothing to hide Shockedops: but would prefer not to have to give some of this stuff out. What is it used for? Who can view it?

3)Any other advice or tips? Is registering through plus net the best way to go or is there a better alternative?

TIA,

Richard.
5 REPLIES
N/A

geneva convention details (somewhere) that any information you do not want people to have (open to the public) should not be made available by parties holding it.
IOW if you ask plusnet thyey should keep most of the information private
in regardas to who could see it.
i should think anyone that does a whois on your dns

*dont take my word for it*:!:
Community Veteran

Yes the domain belongs to you.

You must provide all of the information to PlusNet, they should allow you to opt in or out of dispalying your information on whois. The information is then only available to PlusNet and Nominet. However your name will always appear on a whois check.
If you dont want your name to appear on whois then you could register it as a company name (if you have a company), if you use someone else's name then the domain legally belongs to them.

Thats for .uk domains, for .com / .net domains all information is made avaialble via whois including your address etc. AFAIK you can't opt out.

Chris
N/A

There was a major chakeup with domains names handles by niminet last year, that meant more information was displayed about yourself.

An opt out policy was introduced for personal registrations, that meant your address details are not displayed on a whois request. You name will allways be displayed.

This is not possible for business registrations.

However, many ISP's started to provide a sub-contract, that would allow a person to register the domain under there ISP's name and address, yet the domain remained under the ownership of the person (by sub-contract).

You might want to enquire with +Net about this.

If they do provide you with this, I must note that should you wish to move away from +Net later, a fee may apply. Normaly it is free to transfer (subject to administration charges by ISPs), however, a change of named ownership would also have to take place, to place it back under your own name (a charged service now).

Beyond this, there are cheaper services available on the internet for registration. However, +Net provide the service under one roof, making the process simpler.
N/A

Godaddy.com for .com's and oneandone.co.uk for co.uk's are the cheapest.

But like acarr said - for simplicity you could pay more and let plusnet do the whole thing.
Community Veteran

You should definatly be able to opt out of having your details visable for co.uk domains. I've registered a co.uk and a me.uk since the introduction of the changes and both show me as opting out on the whois checks.

Chris