Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirect from form goes to local drive file rather than www

beskar
Grafter

Hi - this is a bit of a weird one

Have a GoLive 6.01 site which works fine. Put a link to an Acrobat PDF Form (v5.0.5, 1.4 std) on the site that opens up for the user to complete.

When the user clicks the Send button, it sends the field contents off in HTML format to a cgi-bin address using Matt's Formail Script (the cgi-bin link uses the PlusNet address, rather than our www. co.uk one). A hidden field contains a 'redirect' entry, in the format http://www.(oursite.co.uk)/thankyou.html , which is meant to display the 'yes thanks we got your form' page after the form is submitted.

Now in most circumstances this works fine. However, I've noticed that on certain PCs the following happens: after filling in the form and pressing Send, the user sees the a slightly different version of the thank-you page with a different address to that specified in the hyperlink (along the lines of C:\Documents and Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\ Temp\ 038361.htm) .

The problem is that this (cached?) page is defective, i.e. no images, just X's, and CSS styles not being honored. In other words, a nasty visual mess.

I haven't done exhaustive testing but so far I get the impression the problem is possibly related to: Win XP SP1, IE 6.0.2800.1106 XPSP2 (i.e. on fully up to date machines), Acrobat 5.0.5. But I could be way off... ;O)

Any ideas?

Thanks
4 REPLIES
N/A

give us a clue. If you post the url etc we can take a look. A doctor would need to see the patient to find out whats wrong
beskar
Grafter

>>A doctor would need to see the patient to find out whats wrong<< - no, now they've brought out remote diagnosis over the web ;O)

Sorry, would have posted url but it is a customer's beta site so they are rather confidentiality obsessed.

Still, the facts are pretty straightforward:

- a v5 PDF form
- that contains a submit button which invokes Matt's FormMail script
- that looks at a hidden redirect field on the form, which has the value 'www.(oursite).com/thankyou.html'

So, after the data is submitted via the FormMail script, the form page should flip to the thankyou.html page. Which it DOES on most PCs I've been to

What is bizarre - and the main reason for asking this - is why on a few PCs the form flips to a LOCAL temp file instead. Yes, I have tried clearing the local cache etc., but still happens.

My basic logic tells me that either IE is not being handed a valid URL, so does its own thing, or else Acrobat/ FormMail is handing IE the local temp file url instead. But why?

I posted this question in an Acrobat forum, and got a reply from A.N.Other that he'd experienced this too. Whether it is Acrobat or IE or FormMail related, that is the question.

Thanks

p.s. overloaded at present, but if i get a chance I will set up a demo site to give practical demonstration
N/A

This strongly sounds like a Acrobat issue.

The formmail script simply goes the redirection based on on of the posted CGI variables. If you are getting redirected bizarly, then the formmail script has been told to.

One thing I must ask is, are you using the full URL (including httpSmiley in the redirect, or just the directory and page name?

There is little help I can offer, other that attempting to get Adobe on the case.

Another approach to this, use your own formmail or PHP mailer script. This way you can hard-code the redirection page.
beskar
Grafter

>>This strongly sounds like a Acrobat issue.<< - I'm beginning to think so too, a couple of other Acro users mentioned this happening. I am using the full http:// url by the way.

Have posted Q on a few forums, so shall post if I get a definitive answer.

Thanks