cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query about security issues when using static ip address.

N/A

Hi, when trying shields up to probe my ports .http://www.grc.com/default.htm it
came up with this "Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the following "machine name": " followed by my plusnet web address .
Should i be concerned or can i ignore this ?
How do i revert my ip address back to non permanent ?
Am i really paranoid ?

I use zonealarm and adaware to keep my system clean.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Shields up displays your reverse dns (rDns) , if you worried about what is says, since by default it lists your web site address, you can have it changed to your IP address.

Just raise a ticket though the system, there is an option specially for changing your rDns.

Aaron
N/A

Thanks.
Doing it now.
N/A

Cool :-)
N/A

its also not a security risk in any way, other than others know where you are, however you can usualy find your ip very easily so its not really any matter, just easier for your self
N/A

Mask IP

Anyone know of any products that will really mask one's IP? ie so Shields Up.com can't detect it. Not that shields up is a bad website, quite the reverse really, but there are neferious websites out there!
In other words, anyone know of a way to really surf anonymously?
I don't believe Steganos or Ghost Surf truly mask the IP.
N/A

Re: Mask IP

I don't believe Steganos or Ghost Surf truly mask the IP.

Try visiting grc after installing Ghost Surf Pro - you get a totally different IP.
Of course the down side is it's like being back on dial-up waiting for pages to load.
N/A

I tried visiting GRC with Steganos active and IP was masked, only proxy IP showed, but on using www.ip2location.com to check the proxy, the real IP and ISP's geographical location were shown. A friend had Ghostsurf and his IP was shown in email full headers. This is why I say I don't believe in them.
N/A

Everytime you visit a website your computer has to establish a TCP/IP connection with the webserver. To do this it sends a packet with your source IP address so the webserver knows where to send things back to. The only way to stop this is to go through a proxy. Your computer connects to the proxy and the proxy connects to the webserver on your behalf. However, some proxys will put your real IP address in the HTTP header (X-forwarded-for) and almost all public proxys log all requests. If you have a friend who has a machine online 24/7 with a static IP who is willing to run a proxy for you, you could ask them to run a proxy for you but then your friend's IP is known publically.

It should be pointed out though that a random website having your IP address is nothing to worry about. What you should be concerned with is making sure you don't run any vunerable services on machines facing the public internet. Personally, as a general rule, i never connect a machine running windows directly to the public internet and keep it behind a NAT router. You can pickup an ADSL router and set it up for NAT for about £40 from some places and the bonus is you can share your connection with other computers on your home network. There are ways to bypass NAT if an attacker specifically targets you, but they'd have to have a very good reason to.

For most internet users, all you need to protect against is the script kiddies who'll look for open vunerable machines running windows via random scans and dodgy websites that use browser vunerablities to get viruses and spyware onto your computer. If you're running windows and using Internet Explorer for web and outlook for mail, scrap them both and go get mozilla (www.mozilla.org). Try and avoid software firewalls too if you can. Some of them plain don't work, and the ones that do eat up loads of memory and CPU time. Get a hardware firewall or a NAT router.

And smile Smiley
N/A

Thank you aspiesforfreedom for the info.. One needs to have info to be able to make informed choices.
Smiley
I've been meaning to dump ie and fire up Firefox for some time now. My 'Outlook' doesn't work anyway.
I run Kaspersky Anti-Hacker, and McAffee anti-virus, also Spybot and AdAware. These bits of software seem to do the job fine. No home network, no need 4 one.
N/A

As long as you don't have all the windows services open to the public internet.
Earlier this evening i connected a windows machine up forgetting to firewall it and within 2 minutes it was owned.