cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proxy servers and IP spoofers

N/A

Could someone tell me if P/N blocks the use of proxies and IP spoofers? I have tried using a number of proxy servers and IP spoofers but when I check them by going to sites such as http://www.whatismyip.com there is my REAL IP# in all it's glory. The reason I ask is that I know that many websites retrieve your email details by doing a trace on your IP. If I run a trace on my own IP, it gives out my domain name which no doubt contributes to the pile of spam I get on a daily basis.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I just tried this one: http://anonymouse.ws/anonwww.html
I put the whatsmyip address in the url search, and it came back with an IP totaly diffrerant to mine. So I guess it works fine! Smiley

Depends what you want to do with it though I suppose, because this seems to have a 1Mb file download cap on any single transfers through it.
I'm sure there are plenty of other proxies that work fine without this limitation though!
N/A

Ahh yes, I have used that myself and it does work but what I meant were te kind of proxy apps you run on your puter rather that doing your surfing via one of these web based ones. So that u can run it on your puter and forget about it. TYVM for your input, though SeventhStar Smiley
Community Veteran

You can ask support to change your rDNS, so that is does not show your username.

Chilly
N/A

Nice one, Chilly. I'll do that right now. tks for the heads up Smiley
N/A

Changing your rDns will work, providing you don't have a link on your site to an e-mail address. Most spammers use bots to scan sites and google for e-mail addresses, and once they've got one, they pass it around.

This is also true if you use a PN e-mail addy on websites on the internet.

Spam is one of those evils that you can't really avoid.
N/A

Yeah, tell me bout it. They recon that 75% of all email sent on the net these days is spam. Those lil rodents really need summin nasty doin to em. I even took part in that Screensaver that flooded blacklisted spammer sites with continual page refreshes but they hadda shut that down because the spammers were threatening to sue THEM. Can u believe that?
N/A

Personally, what I feel about spammers and what should be done to them, would have me banned from the forums, if I posted it lol :twisted: :twisted:
N/A

I hear ya. Amen to that Bro, lol.
N/A

OK, I just tried yet another proxy prog on my puter and as with all the others, it doesn't work. Am I right in thinking that P/N does infact block the use of proxy servers?
N/A

Plus Net do not block the use of proxy servers
N/A

okies, tks. I'll get back to messin wid em and see if i can sort it out then, lol.
N/A

Spamming the Spammers in reverse?

Hi,

After reading through this thread I'd like to add my little contribution to spamming debate. I have suggested many many times that if PN,F9 & FOL could allow users to mark any mail that is spam or junk or adverts for get it up again with the that latest wonder drugs (you get my drift I'm sure!!) etc. If these could be blacklisted and legit mail added to a friends list. At user account & email server levels.

If any mail that was spam or marked as spam on a blacklisting, if such mail could be sent to a BLACKHOLE email address (such as those that exsist already) then it wouldnt even be seen or received by the user in their mailbox.

If this was implemented then as fast as the low life (spammers) sent the spam then it would be voided into the blackhole as fast as the spammers could sent it, RESULT!! spammers would go else where as the response from PN, F9, FOL would continue to be a big fat zero.

And if enough ISP's were to implement this concept the spammers would be in serious trouble for the first time in many years, ISP's would be one step ahead of the game.

Just a thought, I think its a viable concept but so far nobody has taken any notice of this. Just think of the amount of network traffic that would be saved not be mention bandwidth too. would completely remove all those bounced or failure notices,etc.

Ivan
N/A

That sounds like a plan to me, Ivn2mod. Mebbe an extention to that would be for some kinna centralised organisation that took in spam complaints from surfers. When a trigger number of complaints were recieved, it could be auto added to a blacklist. ISP's could subcsribe for a regular heads up where they could add the list to their own spam blacklists for blocking.

This sounds a lil easy to me as I'm not a computer or programing "eggspurt" so I assume there is some reason why this kinna thing hasn't been set up allready.

Tougher penalties for convicted spammers would be a big help, too. Castration comes to mind or mebbe forcing them to sit in an empty room and made to watch endless reruns of Eastenders.