cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with webspace

N/A

Problems with webspace

On my website www.jmpetersen.plus.com....

...the site opens but when I click on ay of the links I get this,

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /photos/photo_1.html on this server.

What's going on? Ive haven't passworded the site, and I know I haven;t uploaded to it recently.

What can I do to solve this...HELP!!!
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Problems with webspace

Check the permissions of the folder called photos?
You may need to chmod it as it looks like the folder itself is denying everyone access at the moment. Cry
N/A

Problems with webspace

I think I did mess around with permissions, I will take everything off it at the mo.

What's chmodHuh by the way.

By the way is there anyway I can individually password folders so people cannot access them without playing with permissions.
Community Veteran

Problems with webspace

chmod (change the file attributes) is altering the permissions for files and folders.
I use cuteftp for my uploads (others should be similar) and once in the webspace I right click on a file or folder and then select the change attributes. This is where you supply a 3 digit number to the attribute. strting at 000 and working up to 777.
If you set it to 777 then everyone has read write and execute access to the folder.
775 will allow access to everyone but not allow the public to alter your files
Community Veteran

Problems with webspace

In addition, your home page is constantly refreshing when using a Mozilla browser. It works fine in IE so you need to correct that problem as well.

It is probably something to do with the refresh META you have setup.

For password protecting directories, see the General: .htaccess tutorial, and make sure you know how to view hidden files in your FTP client (all files starting with . (dot) are classed as hidden).
N/A

Problems with webspace

Thanks for all your help, the meta tag is the meta tag creator built by you GUYS but I'll get my web techie to have a look at it.

Thank you Thank you Thank you.....the support community in Plus Net is fantastic, never got this on Zen!!
Community Veteran

Problems with webspace

Thanks for all your help, the meta tag is the meta tag creator built by you GUYS but I'll get my web techie to have a look at it.

Just a point.
Myself and Peter are not employees of PlusNet :?
I am a volunteer who helps keep the forums tidy and Peter puts his own time into writing Tutorials.
If we can also give assistance then we will do that as well. Cheesy
N/A

Problems with webspace

Thank you moderators!! You deserve to be on the payroll with the amount of help you give out on these forums!
Community Veteran

Problems with webspace

I'm not a moderator either Wink Just humble tutorial team member Cheesy