cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with emails

chrisco
Grafter

Problems with emails

Anybody else having problems receiving emails. I use Outlook & keep getting error message "mail.plus.net-receiving reported error 0x8004210A The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receving (POP) server contact your admin/ISP.............

I've had this problem on & off for the last week, raised a couple of tickets but just as I close a ticket the problem starts again, I've rechecked all my settings all support tell me to do is temporarily disable firewall & AV & send test mails which I've also done & was able to receive both with & without firewall & AV being on.

Regards, Chris Cole
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Problems with emails

have a look at this page it details all the information about that error and how to sort it, hope it helps

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=827349
chrisco
Grafter

Problems with emails

Hi Andy, thanks but I've got Outlook 2003 & that article refers to 2002. I've checked for Office updates & everything is current,(would have expected that as my settings are on auto), can't understand why its not happening all the time, I was receiving mails earlier today with no problem I've had 2 this afternoon but have had to go to Webmail to read them. I have just altered the server timeout setting to 3.5 mins from 2 to see if that makes a difference but am not convinced that will do it. Mystery!

Regards, Chris Cole
Community Veteran

Problems with emails

it can affect both including outlook express, try googling it

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=0x8004210A
chrisco
Grafter

Problems with emails

Think I've cracked it (Shhhhhhhh................don't want to tempt fate!) I have Zone Alarm & I was trawling their forums looking for something unrelated to this problem & one of the posts was for the same problem as this & suggested adding the mail server IP address (212.159.10.1 for anyone like me who hadn't a clue what it was!) to the trusted zone - simple? - mmmm :?

Anyway, that was last night & touch wood I've been receiving mail ok today, having said that I still have a ticket open & I'm loathe to close it as the problem always seems to return directly I do, so I'll leave it a few days.

Regards, Chris Cole
chrisco
Grafter

Problems with emails

Damn it, it's started again, any other suggestions as to what I can do?

Regards, Chris Cole
Community Veteran

Problems with emails

it does sound like an intermittant problem with your AV.

Are you by any chance using symantec?
chrisco
Grafter

Problems with emails

No, eTrust v 7.1 .