cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with disconnection.

N/A

I've noticed something rather odd when I use these discussion forums. This new topic has proceeded with no problems at all, however, I have found that if I attempt to reply to a topic I get dumped down to the desk top whilst remaining on-line. I noticed this first when attempting to progress a topic that I had started and I have since tried to reply to other topics with variable results. In some I can prepare a reply and, in others, I go to desk-top before the emoticon panel has finished loading. If I persevere and keep attempting to make a reply I can be rewarded with success (see the topic on Publishing Front Page) but it is the inconsistency that is so puzzling. Has anyone else had this problem and can offer a solution? Alternatively is anyone able to suggest what the problem might be?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Do you mean your browser crashes when you say 'dumped to desktop'

What windows version and browser are you using?
N/A

Wow! Success first time with replying! Yes Peter, the browser crashes but I am left on-line and can reconnect immediately back to the point from which I was dumped. My operating system is Windows XP Home and I use Internet Explorer v6.0 as my browser.
Community Veteran

Sounds like either IE is corrupted or a DLL it uses has been overwritten by a software install.

Have you installed any software recently?

You could use the system restore and restore back to a point before the problems started - this may mean some software you have installed recently may not work correctly. Go back one step at a time until the problem no longer exists - this may not fix it however.

Do you have all the latest windows updates and security fixes, including Service Pack 1 (SP1)? If not I suggest you download them, reboot and see if that cures the problem.

Other than that it is going to be very difficult to diagnose the problem as there can be many reasons why IE crashes.

You could always try a different browser - Mozilla 1.6.
N/A

Thank you for that ! I have taken your advice and installed Mozilla 1.6 having had about twenty tries to create this reply through IE. I am using XP SP1 and have attempted ro re-install IE using the download from Microsoft. However, the download seems to recognise the presence of IE and therefore downloads nothing. It's rather worrying to think that there may be corruption in a .dll file. If I uninstall IE now that Mozilla appears to be taking the strain would that remove the defective .dll and would the problem re=appear or be cleared with a re-installation of IE?
Community Veteran

You can't remove IE and it is not recommended either. The DLL may not actually be corrupted but incompatible - i.e. it was overwritten by an earlier or later one than IE expects by the installation of another app. The DLL may also not be specific to IE but a main windows DLL so even if you could remove IE the DLL or whatever it is causing the problem may remain.

You still need IE to download updates and security fixes (you can do it manually but windows update is easy to se) - there tends to be a lot so you should always update. XP has an automated app to download critical updates which you may want to enable (or it may already be enabled because that is the default state when XP is installed).

I've used Mozilla for years now and only use IE when the web siet does not work in Mozilla (which is getting rarer). I find it much faster and the tab feature saves a lot of desktop real estate and multiple windows - just press CTRL+T)

Note: if you want to run java, you also need to download suns Java runtime environment - info from the Mozilla website.
N/A

Thanks again, you have done more good than you expected! I had been having dreadful problems with uploading my FP website - non-recognition of the webspace from within FP - inability to access my webspace directly outside of FP. With Mozilla I can not only access my webspace but read the "sleeper" index.htm file I had depositied there. I can't yet check its effectiveness from within FP because I de-actiivated my FP webspace as one of a number of moves to uncover the source of the difficulty. There is just one problem with Mozilla that I have not been able to resolve. I have imported my e-mail settings from Outlook Express but when I try to read messages with the Mozilla mail program the passwords for my three e-mail accounts are not recognized. If you can shed some light on that I be delighted. I am really most grateful for your help so far.
Community Veteran

Why change from OE? unless you were having major problems it's a perfectly adequate email client - if it ain broke, don't fix it Wink

I use OE, Mozzies email client so can't help. I do know mozilla's email client works as I added a few test accounts so just go through the config screen again making sure the transfer occured correctlt in all fields.

Maybe my test email properties will help. Right click on an account and select properties (I am using username for my plusnet name):

Main page:

Account Name: test@username.plus.com
Your name: me
Email address: test@username.plus.com

Click on advanced and set relay.plus.net as the SMTP server
All other settings blank/unticked

Server settings:

Server name: mail.plus.net
Username: username+test (test is a defined account just use username for default account)

tick: check for new messages, check every 10 mins, auto download msg, leave msg on server (because I still want email to go to my OE client) untick this if you email client will be this one now.

All other options blank.unticked

The other sections should not matter and you can config yourself.

You should get a request for a password the first time you get mail and it should remember it from then on.
N/A

Yes, I shall continue to use OE which works very well. Interestingly the Mozilla e-mail client will receive e-mail but cannot send it! I'll forget it unless and until OE gets twitchy. Thanks again for your help.
Community Veteran

See in my above post where it mentions relay.plus.net - this must be set before outgoing mail can be sent.
N/A

A postscript to the disconnection problem is that, after installation of Mozilla, I found that the ability to view my web space via IE had returned. What is more, I can elect to reply to discussion forums without disconnection from IE but I get disconnected if the back button is used. Curiouser and curiouser!
N/A

You could download the latest version of IE6 alone and reinstall it. See if that cures any problems.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp
N/A

How much memory does your computer have? Anything less than 256Mb with Win XP might cause strange behaviour in some circumstances, depending on what other programs you have running.
N/A

Thanks guys. I have tried to download IE from the Microsoft site but when install gets going it tells me that the version of IE on my computer is a later version than the one being installed so the install procedure aborts.

I have 512Mbytes of RAM plus 128Mbytes dedicated grtaphics RAM.
N/A

You obviously have one of the later IE security updates installed. One of these security updates could be what has been causing your problems. You can force a reinstall of IE as described here.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378
However, you will have to reinstall the updates as well, whcih could put you back where you where