cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with changing ip address. UNWANTED

Proclus
Grafter

This has happened 2 times to me now and to be honest it is getting really really f***ing annoying

Something changes my ip address from what it should be to 169.254.199.226 normally i would publish an ip address but enough is enough. I've done the relevant whois. Im just wondering if anyone else has problems with this before i report the abuse. It probably wont do any good. when it happened i got intrusion attempts form these ip's

has been on my firewall banned ip list for along time now and when this happened this time i took me a long time to get things back to normal

1. I ran spybot and adware NO JOY
2. uninstalled all my Internet connections NO JOY when i reinstalled the ip was there STILL
3. System restore didn't work . I restored and it was still there

What i had to do is go through the registry and delete all entrys relating to 169.254.199.226 then uninstall all binatone Internet connection. Checked the start up list and i had two version of IE (firefox is my default browser} 1 from the program file so i blocked them both to see what happened. I then rechecked the registry for that ip again and made sure that there were no traces of it on the system. I then deleted a few others files that i thought could be the cause. I then pulled out the usb lead for the modem and restarted the computer when it came back on reinstalled the modem drivers and plugged in the usb cable and then i got back the ability to re programme my modem which i did and now everything is ok. FOR NOW ANYWAY

Any on else had these problems or similar. If not i recommend that you add the above ips to your firewall banned list asap.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The 169.254.X.X IPs are special non-routable blocks and is the default windows IP address that it uses if it cannot get an IP address from elsewhere (say from a router or a USB modem driver). I suspect what is happening is something goes wrong with either the DHCP IP assignment (from a router) or a device driver error and no IP address is found so windows defaults to the 169 one.

Normally a simple reboot is all you need to do to correct this so I don't know why you have to modify the resistry unless your networking is corrupted in some way.

This is not something external or any spyware/virus activity but windows default activity when no IP address is found and in your case may indicate a driver or exchange sync problem as you are not getting the plusnet IP address.

The intrusion attempts are just normal internet noise (port scans, virus infected PCs etc) that everyone gets.
N/A

Hi,

What your describing happen to me on a number of occasions, and is caused by your router not being able to comunicated correctly with your PC, normally it's caused by the software firewall blocking certain ports to the router and your IP blocking software.

You also need to ensure 255.255.255.255 is not blocked, (as is common on block lists), and allow all traffic between your PC and the router.

(I will post a better explaination of why this happens, later, but I'm rushing to get to work)

Aaron
Proclus
Grafter

What hasppen was that the modem changes to 169.254.199.226 . Then on my firewall i got intrusion attempts from the other ips that i listed. This is came up not in the same was that the firewall normally log's the events that happen . All traffic normally show in black but the above show in red in RED and indicating that i was getting intrusuion from a banned ip. The only that i had banned at the time was 169.254.199.226.

Thanks for the info.
N/A

Hi,

Sorry I should have read that you had a modem, but a router. The principle is the same though. What happens is your modem loses connection for a few seconds, and thus your IP address as well. Since windows no longer gets an IP address from the modem it defaults to one, which happens to be within your block list.

Your computer attempts to re-establish contact with the modem, but is blocked and hence you lose your connection and everything else is blocked.