cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Outlook express

N/A

I'm having a bit of trouble as I can't sent emails to hotmail addresses from my plusnet account.

I get the error message:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'xxxxxx@hotmail.com'. Subject 'tester', Account: 'Plus Net', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relay not permitted', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I'm sure it is something simple, but i can't work out what and why! Most unusual. Anyone got any ideas :?:
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are you connected via a PlusNet account when you are trying to send this mail?
N/A

yes, but I am also connected to my work VPN. would this make a difference?
Community Veteran

Ah! do you mean that you are trying to send the mail via your works VPN?
N/A

Right, managed to send my email through, but only when I disconnected from the VPN

Solved the problem, but I am a little confused as to why it should make a difference. I do not use outlook express to pick up emails from the VPN, and the only account set up with outlook express is my plusnet one.
Community Veteran

No I don't understand it either :?
I could see a problem if you were trying to send out actually via the VPN and still use the plusnet relay server but if it was just running alongside and you sent the mail directly to relay then Im baffled?

Glad you have found why though Wink
N/A

It gets worse. I don't have my VPN on all the time, so thats why I thought it was only hotmail messsages, but I have since discovered that outlook express doesn't send any messages while my VPN is connected!

Perhaps it is a a VPN connection setting that I am not aware of.
Community Veteran

Perhaps it is a a VPN connection setting that I am not aware of.

Must be some sort of setting thats causing it. Normal surfing doesn't stop any of my mail going out no matter what I am connected to.
For that matter neither does having file sharing running at the ame time.
N/A

I think my PC is telling me I shouldn't work from home and should stick to using broadband for online gaming.... :lol:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Just a thought, and I'm even sure it's possible, but are you using or directing port 25 via the VPN?

I don't know how you'd set it as I don't use VPN, but it might be worth looking at.
N/A

How can I find out what ports the VPN is using?