cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Norton Interent Security 2004

N/A

Has anybody tried installing this with Windows 98. I get an error message each time the firewall tries to run, stating that netman.dll cannot be found. Netman is a windows 2000 & XP dll file. Symantec haven't yet come up with a solution. I am running windows 98 SE with a conextant ADSL modem.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Norton products seem to be a continous problem for quite alot of people (they're mentioned a heck of alot over at the MS Tech newsgroups). If the program is asking for a file that is not part of, nor compatable with 98SE, then the only option you have is to either, not use the program, or, upgrade your operating system.
N/A

I would suggest that you look @ Norton Internet Security 2003 or 2002 which is less buggy than the new version
N/A

Personally I'd keep well away from all Norton related products unless youi have absolutely no other choice.
N/A

Thanks for the views. I have given up and activated the Norton 60 day money back gaurantee.
N/A

I currently use norton 2004 with windows 2k, and have found it a bit buggy too. I would consider changing , as once I found it had disabled itself while I was away from my PC and left me unprotected for several hours!

Does anyone have a better suggestions for an alternative?
N/A

ZoneAlarm is one of the best (and free) firewall products at the moment. Well worth a try at that price.
Community Veteran

Yes but Zone alarm is just a firewall not an anti virus program which is what Norton 2004 mainly is.
N/A

Ah right, having stayed well away from Norton I wouldn't know Smiley

I'd recommend AVG Pro as an Anti-Virus. It's about £30, and has a few nice advantages over the free version I.E. the update servers are always very fast, that kind of thing.
N/A

thanks, I'll look into both, I have heard of zone alarm, as a few of my mates have it with no problems.. Norton was fine until I upgraded to 2004, but ever since it disabled itself I don't trust it.
N/A

Eurotrain - Are you on AVG 6 or 7?

I can't comment on the full version of 6, but we went from 6 free right to 7 milti-user licence.
N/A

Just got 7 (single user license). It's really nice, and easy to use.
N/A

For AV's, IMHO, you can't get better than F-Prot (www.f-prot.com). As for firewalls, I personally find Tiny Personal Firewall to be the best.

Tiny PF (last freeware version):
www.it-mate.co.uk/main_content/security.asp#tinypf

Commercial versions:
www.tinysoftware.com
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I tried to upgrade from NIS 2003 to NIS 2004 on a Windows ME machine. It was a total disaster including frequent system crashes and all attempts to sort it out failed. Symantec Help Desk are basically useless as they only have a set number of replies most of which revolve around reinstalling the programme.
In the end i completely unistalled NIS2004 and installed NIS2003 from the downloaded files saved onto CD from my other PC. This solved all the problems but i was not impressed by their response when i advised how i had solved the problem
"Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.
We are glad to know that Norton Internet security is working fine on your machine and the issue you had is resolved.
Our constant effort is to keep our customers well protected against all viruses and malicious programs.
Thank you for your message and thank you for using Symantec software"
Wonderful isn't it
N/A

If you want an antivirus that will have a minimum
impact on your system then try NOD32.
For example it scans one of my pc's in 11 minutes,
whereas Kasperksy takes 45 and Norton 58 in comparison.
Basically it's the only antivirus I know that allows you to
use your pc to the full( well almost) whilst a scan is going on, instead of
grinding to a halt. I've tried most.( but not AVG and Tiny mentioned
above) There's a 1 month free trial version.
For a firewall add the free version of Sygate to any list.
Alec