cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sending and receiving e-mail

RobDickson
Grafter

I am having intermitant problems sending and receiving e-mail. I have raised a ticket with PlusNet, but feel that the problem is actually with Norton Internet Security 2004 (NIS), not with PlusNet's servers.

Sometimes when sending e-mail, NIS gives an error message that says something like "The e-mail could not be sent because the connection was broken". This normally happens when Outlook Express (OE) disconnects the PC from the 'net before NIS could send the e-mail. However, we have an always on PlusNet broadband connection, so this is not the case. Despite getting the error messages, the e-mails are actually sent.

Sometimes when receiving e-mails, OE gives a similar message about the server unexpectedly disconnecting the connection. Normally when I click on "Send/Receive" again, I don't get the error message.

Assuming that there's nothing wrong with PlusNet's servers, has anybody else had this problem with NIS? It only seems to have happened in the last few days. I'm running WinXP-SP2 with the Windows Firewall disabled.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

There appears to be a few others reporting issues with NAV (Norton Anti-virus) - NIS uses NAV - and email collection problems as disabling NAV usually solved them. Someone mentioned on ADSLguide it may relate to a recent update for NAV/NIS. See this thread where it suggests reinstalling NAV (in your case maybe NIS completely).

If there are enough reports I guess Symantec should investigate/fix.
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for the advice. I don't fancy disabling e-mail scanning, and really can't face reinstalling NIS. I contacted Symantec yesterday, but haven't had a response yet.
RobDickson
Grafter

I found that downloading the latest version of NIS/NAV solved my problem (updated since I started this thread). However, I did get some useful advice from Symantec (I also had problems sending e-mails, as well as receiving them):

Rob, I apologize for the inconveniences that may have cause you. This error can be caused by a problem with the Symantec shared components Common Client 2.0 program update. The update that caused this problem has been removed. To resolve the issue, I suggest that carry out the following steps:

- Download an updated version of a Symantec shared file
- Change your email program settings

Please refer to the document in the link below and follow the steps provided:

Title: 'Error: "Your email message to <email address of recipient> with the subject <email subject> was unable to be sent . . ." (1003,9) after running LiveUpdate'
Document ID: 2004120916505213
> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004120916505213

Note: Please ignore the title of the document and follow the steps provided.