cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems accessing webspace

N/A

Does something have to be 'turned on' in order for me to access my webspace?

I've been with Plusnet for several years, but never used my webspace. I plan to now!

However, I manage to ftp to ftp.plus.net and am asked for my username and password. I enter these but am not allowed in. I'm using CuteFTP as Plusnet advises.

If I try to go direct to my webpageI just get the "Website cannot be found" error message. (I had assumed there might be some temp placeholder screen until I had uploaded a proper we page. Seems not.)

Is there anything I need to do in order to somehow 'activate' my webspace, or my ability to access my webspace?

Cheers,
Don
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Make sure you are entering the details correctly and also make sure it's in lower case.

Chris
N/A

If I had done it quickly just once or twice, I 'may' have made a mistake - we all hit the wrong key from time to time.

However, I have probably made 20-30 attempts, and am VERY careful when entering the details to prevent any mistakes.

But still no luck.

I've raised a ticket with Plusnet, but.....25 hours later have not had a reply! (The customer support stats say that problems are closed on average after about 10 hours. Presumably, I'm one of the VERY unlucky ones!)

Cheers,
Don
Novocastrian
Grafter

If you use ie6 try entering into the address bar:
ftp://ftp.plus.net/
Fill in your username and password in the box that pops up.

This should bring up a directory of your web space.

This works for me using ie6 but not Firefox
N/A

Nope. I tried IE6 as well as CuteFTP.

However.....I phoned Plusnet support (gave up on them getting around to replying to my ticket!) They checked and confirmed there was 'something wrong'. I didn't enquire what was wrong, and didn't particular care. He said he would fix it within the hour.

A few hours later, I tried to connect (via IE6) and it worked first time.

Seems that they DO have to 'switch it on' or do 'something' in order to allow you to access your webspace.

Cheers,
Don
Community Veteran

Setting up access to your webspace is normally automatic when your account is created but it appears something went wrong with your account which support have now fixed.