cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with telnet and email

N/A

Can anyone help? I've set up an email server on my PC and had my DNS MX records changed to have email forwarded to my static IP address.

When I try to collect email from anywhere other than my local network Outlook comes back with the following error...

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Look4homes', Server: 'mail.look4homes.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I also have a problem using telnet to my domain on ports 25 or 110. Telnet gives me the following result...

telnet mail.XXXXX.co.uk 110
Connecting To mail.XXXXX.co.uk...Could not open connection to the host, on port 110: Connect failed

I've turned on packet sniffing and when I try to telnet to my email server on either port 110 or 25 I don't see any traffic hitting my router. Is this a dumb question, should I get to my email server?

The problem it's creating is that I can only collect email from my local LAN and I'd like to pick it up remotely.

Thanks

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to a more apt section of the forums.
4 REPLIES
N/A

I've just tried a telnet test myself to that address - I get an SMTP response and a POP3 mail server.

I suspect you might be suffering a problem with DNS cache. I suggest you reboot your machine and router.

To confirm this, you could post the resolved IP address that you get from a ping to your mail.look4homes.co.uk - I get 212.56.108.151.

Good to see that you're using SMTP auth... and that your server isn't open relay.....
N/A

Yep, I tried dialling in to another ISP and I can successfully telnet in to my mail server. However I still have a problem with my email client.

If I enter the local IP address of my email server in to the client I can get mail to/from the server. However if I replace the IP address with the FQDN (mail.XXXXX.co.uk) I get the connection error seen in my first post. I can resolve the FQDN to my static IP but my mail client seems to have a problem with it.

Any ideas?Huh
N/A

ah. right. So are you trying to send or recieve? There isn't anything in the outbox is their?

Outlook always sends first I think... unless you have smtp auth correctily configured.

Try doing a manual recieve and a manual send - in outlook 2003 you can choose to do only one task at once.

Pete.
N/A

also... you could just test pop3 manually:

telnet mail.look4homes.co.uk 110

>> then type
user username
pass password

list

quit

that lists the messages in your mailbox and quits - just tests that you don't have any virus scanner proxy etc getting in the way.

Pete.