Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with outlook after reformat

silvagod
Grafter

Hi,

I have been using MS Outlook to collect and send mail for a long time, but today I had a PC problem (unrelated) and have had to carry out a full reformat and reinstall of everything.

I have set up the email account in outlook exactly as before but now get the following when I try to send or receive mail...

"!Task 'PlusNet - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a repsonse from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue'....etc.etc.

I have deleted and reset everthing a few times and even extended the time out minutes but I always get the same error. Evil

Anyone any ideas?

(I don't expect a rush of replies bearing in mind that the Eng v Port match starts in just over an hour...in fact I'm off the the pub as soon as I post this, so When you've all recovered from the win / loss, please feel free to give me a helping hand Cool)
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

that google thing often helps ... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827349 for instance
vic_newey
Grafter

trusting that you didn't forget to put 'relay' instead of smtp ?
Community Veteran

Also are you using any Antivrus software or fireall software, if so which one(s)?
silvagod
Grafter

trusting that you didn't forget to put 'relay' instead of smtp ?

Nope, used relay, all the setting are exactly as they were before the reinstall when it was working.
silvagod
Grafter

that google thing often helps ... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827349 for instance

Yep, it does, thanks paul but I have already updated outlook. The hotfix relating to your google search is for outlook xp. I have outlook 2003 and therefore require 'different' updates.
silvagod
Grafter

Also are you using any Antivrus software or fireall software, if so which one(s)?

AVG antivirus and windows firewall. Both worked fine before alongside outlook.
N/A

Re: Problem with outlook after reformat

Hi,"!Task 'PlusNet - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a repsonse from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue'....etc.etc.

Possably not related but then again I should not be in too much of a hurry to blame your setup as I have started recieving a few of these error messages over the last day or so

"The communication error: Cannot connect to host mail.plus.net using port 110 temporarily (Operation timed out)"

....... and I am using a Mac with "Gyazmail" as my email client and without firewall or anti-virus so perhaps there is a problem developing elsewhere.

Just a thought

IanJ
silvagod
Grafter

Re: Problem with outlook after reformat

Just a thought

IanJ

Could be related, thanks for the input Cool
Community Veteran

Sounds like AVG has incorrectly set up outlook which is why its not working. Something that happens all the time, definitely worth checking out
silvagod
Grafter

Have tried both with and without AVG, still get the same result Evil

Can't understand it as everything worked fine before the reinstall.
Community Veteran

has AVG set your pop server to 127.0.0.1?
silvagod
Grafter

has AVG set your pop server to 127.0.0.1?

Dunno, how do I check that one then?
silvagod
Grafter

All sorted now.
Had to do another reinstall. It appeared that I had been using one of my cut down versions of windows. (must remember to label CDs correctly) and was missing some vital files for outlook.