cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with a download

N/A

Problem with a download

On my site i have a few things that are legal to download. Ive got them in a folder on my webspace and i cant acces it. I use cute ftp and get the message access denied when i click on it. Why is this? Also, i cant download the stuff off my site.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Problem with a download

Homepages or cgi server? and what folder on the server.

If it's in cgi-bin on the cgi server you will not be able to access them because it is a protected directory.

What permissions does the files have?

Also what permissions does the directory they are in have?
N/A

Problem with a download

homepages i guess. I just have an html site. Its in a folder called audio.
N/A

Problem with a download

It was working fine a day ago but today its not.
Community Veteran

Problem with a download

Is that audio in the htdocs directory?

What is the audia directories permission? It needs to be read and excute for other so the web server has access to it. i.e. rwxr-xr-x
N/A

Problem with a download

Yes its in the htdocs folder. It has been working fine though.

The permission is d---------

Is there a limit to how much people can download in a certain time periodHuh
Community Veteran

Problem with a download

That means no-one can acces the files in the directory, including you. Something has changed them (either you - maybe without knowing or by mistake - or a system fault occured).

Use your ftp app to change the permissions to read, write, execute for owner, read and execute for group (or no read,write or execute) and read and execute for other. This will look like drwxr-xr-x (or drwx---r-x is no group permissions are set).

Your bandwidth limit is usually the same as your webspace limits - i.e. 250megs webspace, 250Megs download/day.
N/A

Problem with a download

Could someone else have change them from plus.net at all?

What is Bandwidth exactly?
Community Veteran

Problem with a download

That means no-one can acces the files, including you. Something has changed them (either you - maybe without knowing or by mistake - or a system fault occured).

Use your ftp app to change the permissions to read, write, execute for owner, r and execute for group (or no read,write or execute) and read and execute for other. This will look like drwxr-xr-x (or drwx---r-x is no group permissions are set).

You are limited to bandwidth access to your site and is usually the same as your webspace limits - i.e. 250megs webspace, 250Megs download/day.
N/A

Problem with a download

I tried changin the prmissions and got this message

[audio]
COMMAND:> SITE CHMOD 400 audio
550 audio: Operation not permitted

Would it be worth deleting the folder, renaming it and uploading it again?
Community Veteran

Problem with a download

If you can't change the directory permissions you may not be able to delete it either.

No folder should have permissions of d---------. If you can't change the permissions or delete it, you will need to raise a contact us ticket and get support to change the directory permissions to 775 or 705 for you.

What is the permissions for htdocs? if that is also d--------- then something has corrupted your file/directory permissions and support need to correct them.
N/A

Problem with a download

The last time something like that happened to me (files went hidden), it was when PlusNet had some cluster failure.
I found it was quicker to delete the folder and upload again rather than try and sort it out. (you cound spend hours sorting in out, but literally minutes uploading).
However, note that if you do not have permission to access the folder, you will not have permisssion to delete the folder either.
N/A

Problem with a download

I found out what the problem is and this is the message i got from support.

-= Internal =-

Chowned the customers audio folder to root:root and chmodded it to 000 which makes it unreadable.

Customer used 1.2GB yesterday with the vast majority of the data transfer from the audio folder.

Regards,
[removed]

Is this bad?

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Removed CS agents name as per forum guidelines]
N/A

Problem with a download

Pretty much, yes.

This means that people downloaded 1.2GB from your website in one day, which is almost 5 times that allowed (your allowed 250MB, however, that was 1200MB)

You need to get your usage down with it, to have the directory set back to normal.
N/A

Problem with a download

:shock: Oh my god. Ill have to stop the downloads then i think.So can people only download 250mb per day then? Is there anyway to increase this at all?