Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Postfix on Linux using DNS on Speedtouch 510

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have a linux box configured with Postfix. Whenever this tries to send mail out it fails with an error like this:

Apr  9 18:29:31 blfs postfix/smtp[11000]: B621A380B1: to=<john.lane@domain.com>, relay=none, delay=0, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=domain.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)

If I try to do an mx record lookup host -t mx domain.com I get the following error:
Host domain.com, not found: 4(NOTIMP)

and the trace on my speedtouch 510 shows:
dnsd: unhandled query type 15 from 10.0.0.100: discard.

If I change my /etc/resolv.conf to use PlusNet's DNS it all works fine.

Has anyone else experienced such DNS problems with the Speedtouch 510 ? Are there any solutions to this ?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

It's not a fault with the modem. To use DNS, you have to tell your OS which DNS servers to use. How can you expect it to work without that info?
starfry
Rising Star

It's not a fault with the modem. To use DNS, you have to tell your OS which DNS servers to use. How can you expect it to work without that info?

ehHuh? Did you read what I said Huh

If I put plusnet's DNS address in my /etc/resolv.conf it works fine.
If I put my local router's DNS address in my /etc/resolv.conf it doesn't..

So I am telling my OS which DNS servers to use, so it has the info, and I therefore expect it to work . Wink

I know that It does talk to my local DNS because I can see the activitity in the console trace on the router. I can see the router rejecting the request because this trace shows the message "dnsd: unhandled query type 15 from 10.0.0.100: discard."

If it were a problem with my OS config, changing that config to point at a PlusNet DNS would not fix the problem but, as I said, it does fix it. Therefore I do believe it is something to do with the DNS implementation in the router firmware.
Community Veteran

Have you tried placing both ip addreses in the resolv.conf file;

search openna.com
nameserver 208.164.186.1
nameserver 208.164.186.2

Name servers are queried in the order they appear in the file primary, secondary.

So place the router first then followed by one of Plus.Net’s DNS servers. If lookup fails on the router, it should then go to Plus.Net directly.

Some routers do have known problems with proxy DNS/ DNS forwarding.

Chilly
starfry
Rising Star

Have you tried placing both ip addreses in the resolv.conf file;

Yeah, sure that would let it resolve but that isn't the point. The point is the DNS in the router does not seem to be up to the job. If it were I'd only need to put it's address in resolv.conf.
Community Veteran

Assuming that you are using the latest firmware on the router, it sound like you have two choices;

1) Accept that you have to configure one of the Plus.Net DNS servers into the resolv.conf
I do not see why this is a problem.

2) Replace the router.

Chilly