cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Norton Security and Email

Ron31A

I have found that after a recent Norton Update (automatic) that I cannot now
send emails using ThunderBird (or Outlook Exprtess for that matter).
What happens is that on sending II get a dialog saying

"Connecting to relay.plus.net" which waits and waits indefinately. On Canceling
it says "sending message failed.

I spoke to our support on 0845 1400200 and was advised to disable Norton
for 5 mins and try again. This worked so the problem is associated with a recent
Norton Update.

Can anyone advise how to overcome this

Thanks

Ron
7 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Uninstall NS, then reinstall, turn off autoupdate, run updates manually, and select all but excluding the latest one.

They have done this before, and they will do it again. Problem is they don't admit it and just quietly sneak out a correct update a couple of weeks later.

I used to use NIS, but ditched it due to the kind of problems you are having, and now use free AVG and free Zone alarm, and am pleased with both.
Suggest you consider this too.

If you propose staying with NIS, turn off auto update and only run updates when they're a couple of weeks old. That way, they'll have had time to correct them.
Ron31A

Thanks for the uninstall advice. I don't particularly want to do this as I have many dozen internet programs installed and worry about screwing up something else that is working OK.

I think I will disable NS for the briefest of times, download/upload email and then re-enable NS. I can do this in under 1 min and I am fortunate that I have a router in use so that helps minimise attack during this period,

When Norton releases the upgrade correction - (there are bound to be many folk complaining, though I could not find a means of complaining via email at their site ) , I will take your advice and disable automatic upgrades, doing it manually after a week or two.

Thanks

Ron
Alecto
Grafter

Ron
I just googled
Norton Internet security recent problem email
and came up with this from earlier this month which seems to describe your problem.

I think it might be a solution - but the turn off auto update advice still applies.

When I had the problem, which was much worse than yours in that it turned browsing to glue, I googled various things and found a whole forum full of people whining about the same thing. The tendency is to think it's just you, which is what Symantec rely on, I suspect.
Denzil
Grafter

Norton is renowned for causing problems like this. Save your money and install the free alternatives instead.
Ron31A

Geoff,

Thanks for the pointer to an earlier Symantic problem. I had actually seen this and
decided it did not appy in my case.

Now surprisingly my problem has gone and I can receive/send emails without
disabling NS. I think that Nortom must have released up upgrade to fix the problem.

Incidentally Re my last posting and remark about trying to report on thew Norton site and not being able to; I have since found a page which does offer assistance
but only if you pay for it. This is really rubbing salt into the wound !

Thanks for your advice.

Regards Ronl
Alecto
Grafter

No problem.
But when the time comes round to pay for Norton again, I'd give the free ones I mention a try. Tongue
psk10
Grafter

Norton Internet security

I Would stick with Norton they have a great reputation and are not the largest and Best for nothing ,iv found over the years they'v gone from strength to strength any blips are soon repaired as you 'v found out ,iv tried the others and il stick with NORTON