cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem receiving mail in outlook express

N/A

Ive just had to format my PC and reinstall everything. Ive set my email up to the exact settings i had prior to the format. I used a backup program to keep my email settings. It received mail the first few times i checked it but now im getting this error message whenever i try to send or receive mail.

"The host 'mail.plus.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'James Cannell', Server: 'mail.plus.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

Can someone help with this at all as im starting to look like this Evil
6 REPLIES
N/A

Check you DNS server names.

Socket error (and the messages shown) 11001 related to being unable to lookup the IP for mail.plus.net
N/A

what do you mean. (im a bit thick. i dont know what dns means)
N/A

DNS (Domain Name Server) is the process of converting a name (mail.plus.net) into a IP address in dotted notation (212.159.10.1).

Machines can't connect to names, only numbers (the simlest way of saying it), so all names must be coverted first.

In the case of your error, it is failing to convert the name into the IP.

This can mean a problem with your computer, a virus, a connection problem or the settings used for your DNS servers.

Are you accessing via dialup or ADSL? What type of modem are you using (ethernet, USB or PCI)?
N/A

Im connecting by ADSL and the modem is a Binatone (USB connected). It connects to the net with no problems.

My mail was working fine earlier before i formatted my computer though. It also worked a couple of times but the last 5-6 hours it wont do anythin. I have other email accounts that wont connect either. How would i fix this problem then?
N/A

Are you using Windows XP? Have yu installed Service Pack 1a?
N/A

I have done all the updates that windows provides. I just cjecked my mail and it worked. I checked it again and it didnt.