cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postfix and Plusnet

N/A

Postfix and Plusnet

Hello,
I am running a FreeBSD 4.9 box behind my NAT router, which serves http, ftp, ssh, and various other services. I have succeeded in installing postfix, after some difficulty. It delivers emails fine, but it will not recieve anything. I have configured my domain dns settings (plusnet) to send emails by smtp to my fixed ip, yet the emails seem to queue on plusnets servers. When I finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net, it tells me that it is attempting to deliver the emails to my IP address, but they seem to get lost somewhere along the way. Does anybody have any experience with this situation, or could point me in the right direction? Thanks, in advance. Josh
3 REPLIES
N/A

Postfix and Plusnet

As far as I can tell, Postfix seems to be only for sending emails. To receive emails being sent to your IP you'd also need to setup an incoming mailserver (such as POP3). If there is no incoming mailserver setup at your address, then emails are automatically queued on the PlusNet server until you attempt to have them redelivered.

Of course, I could be wrong - this is just what I can tell from the Postfix website.
csogilvie
Grafter

Postfix and Plusnet

Do you have postifx setup to deliver mail locally for username.plus.com?

I have

mydestination = omega.colinogilvie.co.uk

so that any mail to omega.colinogilvie.co.uk is picked up by my postfix..
N/A

Postfix and Plusnet

I sorted it out, but thankyou for the help anyway. Actually csogilvie, I dont - I have it set to pick up mail for local users, but that is a good idea, it means that I wont miss any emails, as I have quite a lot of traffic through postmaster@...plus.com. Thanks for your time! If anyone needs help with postfix and plusnet in the future, drop me a line. Smiley